cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net connectivity problems.

obitus
Grafter

Havent had the net for a couple of weeks now, because of the downloading of several virus's.

To cut a long story short, ive formated my hd . The problem begins though when i try to set up my wireless connection again and well basically i cant.

I have installed the drivers for the usb adapter but i think its configuring the router thats the problem.(Both are netgear, i forget the model but if needed ill post them) The instructions tell me to open up my net browser and type in http://192.168.0.1. But of course nothing comes up and the page cant be displayed.

I also get a message that my network has no or limited connectivity.

The first time i installed the wireless setup it worked first time without a hassle but for some reason i just cant configure it this time. Ive also tried to phone the support lines but sadly havent been able to get intouch with anyone.

I cant access the internet at all from home so i havent been able to do much research on my question so apologises if i made any mistakes...

Any ideas?

My OS is windows xp.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Did you have wireless security set up previously? It could be that some of the security settings stored by the router are causing you the difficulty connecting wirelessly.

My suggestion would be to use a Cat5 cable to connect to your router initially - just plugging it in and going to http://192.168.0.1 should work fine.

Assuming you can get access this way, you can check the configuration of your wireless connection and test it.

(Don't worry about keeping your router connected to the phone line whilst trying to get the internal aspects of your network sorted. - As long as it is powered up, you can configure the network options, and once you are happy that wireless is working, you can take it back to its original position and re-connect it to the phone line - assuming you are using wireless because its too far away to use wired easily)
obitus
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply, i think it was when someone else installed McAfee that things went wrong. Im at uni now so ill try it on thursday and will reply with some news.
N/A

It may be simpler to reset the router back to factory defaults by pressing the button on the back for a few seconds. You should then connect ok with the wireless but you will have to setup your username and password again on the router. If you cant do that then dont do a reset.

You have probely setup wep on the wireless and you need the right key in your settings to connect again