cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys wireless - beginers problems

N/A

Shockedops: Anybody out there help a novice who is trying to connect linksys USB adapter with linksys wireless-G ADSL Gateway, and then connect to my plusnet account. I've followed the linksys instructions but still can't even get the router installation software to pick up the router. I am currently using voyager 105 modem.

Help, it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12 REPLIES
N/A

We need to know the model of the Linksys as there are so many and installation will vary with each one. I didnt understand how you are trying to connect to it and why the modem.
Most of their model include a built in modem and you connect to the router by ethernet or wireless. If you can also tell us how you are trying to connect
suec45
Grafter

Hmm, you shouldnt have to install router software.

You only install the USB 'aerial' software and that picks up the router signal. The actual router is standalone.

When you plug the USB 'aerial' in you will get a 'new hardware detected' message and it will ask for drivers. Thats all you need to do.

Now it should pick up the router signal as long as it is close enough.

Does your router have a modem on it?

Do all the light flash green?
N/A

Linksys router problems

I am trying to use a wirelss G ASDL gateway with built in modem and connent via a linksys wireless USB adaptor.
There is a installation disk with the wirelss G ASDL gateway but this install fails as it can't pick it up.

I referred to the Voyager modem as that is how i am connecting whislt trying to set up the wireless - wondered if it might be relevant.
NB.Apologies for not coming back sooner
N/A

Yes the router (wirelss G ASDL gateway) has a modem and it is in the room underneath me about 4m away.Not all the lights flash green.
N/A

Do you mean you have the modem plugged in while trying to connect to the router? If so it wont work you can only have one adsl device connected to the line at anytime. If you remove the modem from the phone socket does the router then light up? It wont connect until you give it the password/user name and set it up.
N/A

I am trying to connect with the new router using the wirelss USB connection. The modem i was provided with for connection with the telephone cable is unconnected.
N/A

to set it up you really need to use the network cable or you can have problems. Once setup then use the usb. The end light will be red until you enter the username etc.
N/A

Finally got the Router and USB to communicate with each other (the SIDD names didn't match from router to USB card - so i think that was the problem). Can connect using network cable connection, but still can't using the create new internet braodband connection. I get the following message "connecting through WAN miniport (PPPOE)" then there is no connection made.
Any suggestions ??
Thanks
N/A

If you have the network cable plugged in to the pc and the router then you should need to set up anything on the pc. Open a cmd prompt (start/run type cmd) type ipconfig /all and you should see an ip address and a default gateway. type the default gateway into you browser and you should then get the web page for the router. If its try to dial go into internet options and set it to never dial(depends on which browser).

Once you have the routers web page up enter your username and password for plus net and you should have the other details on the sheet that came with the router. Enter those make sure you save it on the router it will then restart and thats should be it you simply fire up the browser and away you go no dial or anything
N/A

Yes i've managed to connect with the network cable and typing my username and log in into the router set up screen, how do i now connect using wireless??
Any help gretly appreciated.
N/A

Have you now set up the internet connection ok and is it working via the cable?

If it is remove the cable and then you tell your wireless to search for networks and it should find the router hit connect and it should work. How this is done depends on the wireless software you are using but they are all fairly simple there is normally an option to connect to it by default on the settings somewhere.

Once you have it working ok then you will need to secure it either by wep or by only allowing known mac address. But for now just get it working
suec45
Grafter

I htink your USB plugs are turned off on your motherboard.

Keep tapping delete as you boot, now check that all the USB plugs are turned on in your bios.

It seems your USB plugs are not detecting the USB connector at all.

Either the USB wireless dongle is nackered or your USB plugs are not working.