cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys wag54s failure

N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

I have only limited connectivity or no connectivity via wireless. Ip and DNS are set to auto and the IP address it is picking up is

IP is 169 254 230 157
subnet 255 255 0 0
dns 212 159 13 49
212 159 13 50

It was all working okay, my wired PC is okay, but the other to laptops will not fully connect and load web pages
12 REPLIES
N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

On the info you have given you wont connect to the internet as you have no default gateway set.

The ip address doesnt seem right either on the working pc goto start/run/cmd and do ipconfig /all

go back to the wireless pc and fill in a static ip with all the details the same as the other pc but add 1 to the last number of the ip. So if the ipis 10.0.0.1 make the other one 10.0.0.2. Make sure you set the default gateway
N/A

Getting Better

Thanks, it now connects well, just won't load internet pages, the settings were

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I will play around some more, should the IP address be set to 101 or 200?

Thanks for help so far
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Linksys wag54s failure

I think 1.100 is fine (the default).

I've got the same router and had problems with its wireless before (don't know if this is the same problem as yours). With me It affected wireless only, so I would try a wired connection, to make sure the lack of internet access is nothing to do with the router settings.

With me, anytime I tried to get the laptop to connect to the wireless network windows would freeze at the point of saying it was obtaining an IP address. Then it just wouldn't connect, sometimes I'd also get it saying it had limited connectivity.

Had no idea why I was getting this problem, changed all sorts of settings to no avail. Finally doing a factory default reset and re-entering all of the ADSL details seemed to fix it.
N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

I've had a similar problem for the last week or so (since the last Windows XP updates were released). I can connect to the wireless network no problem - but cannot connect to the internet (flashing DSL light, and red Internet light). Have tried a wired connection as well - but same problem.

Any ideas?
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Linksys wag54s failure

I've had a similar problem for the last week or so (since the last Windows XP updates were released). I can connect to the wireless network no problem - but cannot connect to the internet (flashing DSL light, and red Internet light). Have tried a wired connection as well - but same problem.

Any ideas?

have you tried to re boot PC and router?
N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

Yep - rebooted (hard + soft). Disconnected and reconnected to the wireless network, also disabled/re-enabled.

Unfortunately, Linksys are extremely helpful and don't bother to include a manual to tell me what my flashing DSL light means (I'm sure this is the key - as I am unable to connect using a wired set-up also).
N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

I have exactly the same problem as Matt. Since the latest security updates from Microsoft I have been unable to connect to the Internet save the last time I applied the updates. It then worked fine for 36 hours, but when I turned on the PC today it has gone back to the state where I cannot connect to the Internet. I did not have time before going to work to reboot the router and PC, but I expect the worst.

Again it seems I will have to undo the updates so I can connect to the Internet, which is a pain. I have looked on many forums to see which update is causing the loss of connectivity to the Internet to no avail.

If I had any hair I would pull it out.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Linksys wag54s failure

Mine has been fine to be honest with you what firmwear are you running?
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Linksys wag54s failure

Any ideas?

If you have a red light like that it means there is no software on your PC for the router to see or it isn't set up i would uninstall all the linksys programs and start again with the new up dates from Microsoft installed.....

i had to do my mates last night as his was the same!! Wink
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Linksys wag54s failure

Any ideas?

If you have a red light like that it means there is no software on your PC for the router to see or it isn't set up i would uninstall all the linksys programs and start again with the new up dates from Microsoft installed.....

i had to do my mates last night as his was the same!! Wink
N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

Unable to check at the mo, had the same thought this morning and got the URL so I can download the latest.

I only bought the thing last week when my previous modem died.
N/A

Linksys wag54s failure

I am having the same problem, have had to reinstall an old modem and now have no wireless network.

I have tried doing the static IP thing, but when I log on to it on browser I get page not found.
How do you reset the box? I've tried the reset button but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Tried reinstalling the set up - I get router not found message.
I even took the box back and got a replacement - but still get same problem.

I tried ringing Linkysis, but was on hold for ages and gave up. Have now sent an email - waiting for reply.

It sounds like it maybe due to MS update?
If anyone has any ideas please let me know!