cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Netgear DG834PN the latest one in the UK?

N/A

Hi all, I'm thinking of moving to wireless connectivity in my flat. I want an all in one Modem/Wireless Router and I'm interested in the Netgear DG834PN. Since this is not cheap at all (79£), I want to make sure it won't get out of date too soon.

Could you please tell me if DG834PN is the latest Netgear in the UK? Is it good to use?

My sincere thanks,

Quynh
10 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I believe this is based on IEEE WiFi protocol 802.11g that is the latest. There are some router/modems around that "conform" to the new protocol 802.11n but this has not been agreed yet and is unlikely to be so until mid 2007 at the earliest.

I use a Netgear router and it gives excellent service and WiFi coverage.
N/A

Thank you for your prompt reply. I only have another related question and would appreciate your advice.

At amazon site, someone said that he buys both this Netgear and a (wireless?) adapter.

Mine is a Dell Inspiron laptop, which is wifi-enabled. Do you think I should buy an adapter as well?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

No you will not need an adapter if you have a WiFi laptop. When you set up the router, connect to your laptop using a cable (supplied in box). Configuration is nearly automatic - you should only have to enter your ISP username and password.

When setup is complete you can unplug cable, enable WiFi on your laptop and it should find connection automatically.

I do similar, but leave router attached to a PC, but laptop will connect OK with PC turned off so I think it will work OK without laptop hard wired to router once setup complete.

By the way, if there are any offers that give a free adapter why not go for this so you can use if you ever need to connect another laptop without WiFi built-in?
N/A

Hi,

I managed to connect this netgear router to a non-netgear Wi-Fi card in a laptop and so far it's fine (PC connected with netgear's USB adapter) but I'm having trouble with setting the router and adapter security protocols. If I try to use the WEP or WPA-SKA security on the router or either connected PCs, I get all sorts of conflicts. Could anyone advise as I don't like operating with an 'open' network.

quynhtran
,yes, you should try to get the modem and USB (WPN111) USB Adapter bundle. I got them both for about £85.00.
N/A

Ignore above - fixed.
N/A

As per aytur9 - you will need to buy the associate netgear wireless adaptor for each client machine if you want to take advantage of the speed capabilities of the PN
N/A

Hi gotdsl, a friend of mine and I stay in the same flat. Do you mean that my friend's computer needs to have an adapter, and I don't?

To aytur9, where did you buy the adapter and router for 85£? Could you tell me?
N/A

quynhtran,

I bought it in Makro - believe it or not. They are doing the router and WPN111 USB adapter for £74.99 + VAT.

As far as all the computers you want to connect to it are concerned, they will either need their own wireless cards in them or be attached to the Netgear WPN111 (USB) adapter.

I think gotdsl meant that if you use the Netgear USB adapter, you may benefit from the full 108Mbps capability of the router, whereas with a different manufacturer's wireless cards, the performance may be slower.

So far, my laptop with an Intel PROSet 2200BG is showing the same speeds (54MBPs)as the PC using the Netgear adapter - make of that what you will! However, I read somewhere else that the manufacturers use 108MBps to mean: 54Mbps up and 54Mbps down= 108Mbps?

Anyway, neither of my set-ups are slow for me so I'm not that concerned about the jargon - Netgear DG834PN seems like a good bit of kit to me and is apparently 'future-proof'.

Maybe gotdsl can add something?
cfroggett
Grafter

the netgear dg834pn supports all current "approved" WiFi standards up to the latest which is 802.11g. This will give you up to 54MBps with any other wifi card in you PC that also supports 802.11g.

the "pn" stands for "pre 802.11n". 802.11n will support 108MBps, probably some time mid next year when they sort it out and get it all "approved".

To get 108MBps out of your dg834pn WiFi you will need a netgear wifi card or usb wifi key from netgear in the laptop or PC that you are using, as at the moment to get 108MBps it is specific to Netgear kit as it is a netgear specific implementation.

I assume that the 802.11n when released should be pretty trivial for them to release new firmware as the device can certainly support the speeds etc, however Netgear in the small print specifically say that they will not commit to supporting this - so place your bets!

shop around, you can get this and a Netgear USB wifi key bundled (so you can do 108MB) together - i think they are shifting them in time for the 802.11n, or actually i think they have released one "based on the current 802.11n documentation" - but until its all "approved", who cares.
N/A

To get 108MBps out of your dg834pn WiFi you will need a netgear wifi card or usb wifi key from netgear in the laptop or PC that you are using, as at the moment to get 108MBps it is specific to Netgear kit as it is a netgear specific implementation.

Thanks for that. So, we'll wait and see what happens when the new frequencies are rolled out.