cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instailling Netgear Router

N/A

I currently have a Motorolla model on normal wired connection with ADSL.
I have a Netgear DG834Gv3 wireless router which I want to install, is it a simple case of following installation details or do I need to change any settings etc to get rid of the motorolla etc.?
6 REPLIES
N/A

If you follow the instructions on the accompanying CD, you should be okay. The computer will identify the available network and the router automatically and as the Motorlla will not be connected, it won't be picked up. This is of course in the ideal world!

Initially, because I got a Netgear WPN 111 external (USB) adapter in the package, I used the resource CD (with management software)to run the adapter - worked fine.

I have since experimented with network management software e.g. Network Magic, which works well. You could experiment with that if you plan to connect other machines to the network.

Do you have a netgear wireless adapter or are you going to use an already installed card?
N/A

Thanks for that
However, cannot get a port light to light up, keeps saying the ethernet cable is not connected, it is!
I was going to use the desktop wired & wireless for my laptop, that is if I can get the router to work!!!
iainmacmillan
Grafter

You need to set the desktop LAN adapter to be the same subnet as the router, which will be by default 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0.

So set your pc manually to 192.168.0.2 with same subnet mask and set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 (router), use the Plusnet DNS IP's for your DNS settings.

then you can load up IE6/7 and point it to the IP address of the router. i recommend using MAC address access control for wireless devices, and saves mucking around with encryption. each wireless device (in fact any network device) has a unique MAC address code.
Community Veteran

Having the wrong IP address will not stop the Ethernet light from appearing on the router. In any case you should set your PC's TCP/IP settings to obtain its IP address and DNS automatically then disable/enable your network.
The_10th
Grafter

However, cannot get a port light to light up, keeps saying the ethernet cable is not connected, it is!

You need to use a standard 'straight-through' CAT5 cable and not a crossover for it to work. The wires are connected to the same pins at either end of the cable.
Community Veteran

The netgear has auto-sensing ports so it will work with either straight or x-over cables.

Have you tried another cable in case the one you have is faulty?