cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help - Wireless Router is unsecured

flicker
Grafter

Apologies in advance, this is going to be quite a long post but as I haven't been on here for a long time, I am entitled! :lol:

Problem is I have an Edimax wireless router modem, which I purchased from a shop, and they set up everything for me, I haven't a clue about all the pages of settings that have to be entered. I had a power surge about 6 months ago, and the settings all went back to default and I couldn't connect. So I took it back, and someone else did it all again, and charged me £30 for the privilege (plus its a 52 mile round-trip) and I am now on an unsecured network, whereas it was secure before.

So today I get an email from the Plus Net team saying I've gone over my 2GB limit and charging me the extra (I know it's not a fortune, but its the principle) Thing is, I haven't done any downloading. Today, I switched on to find it was already showing my usage for today (Sunday) as 29.3MB - I was on my pc for about 3 hours last night, and turned off at 11.50 pm. I have now been on here for over an hour and it has only gone up to 30.3MB

My point therefore being someone else is using my connection. It's hard to understand but where I live, I am surrounded by old people without computers, there is only one place that may be in range with a young boy of 18 years old, and it could be him I suppose. If I go to to the connections thing, there are no other signals in range, only mine.

I have contacted PlusNet team about this before, its not the first time, but they were unable to advise me how to set up my router and suggested I contact the manufacturer. Yeah right, in Korea or somewhere.

I do know how to get to my router settings page, I have that saved in favourites, but as far as what to enter goes, I have not the faintest idea.

Please can anyone help a complete non-computer-knowledged dimwit to set up my router so that it works, and nobody else can pinch my signal and cost me money? Cry
7 REPLIES
N/A

do you know which model it is?
flicker
Grafter

Hi, thanks for replying. It doesn't appear to have a model no. This has been my problem when I posted for help elsewhere and didn't get very far. On the box and Manual it just says"ADSL Modem Router with 11b Wireless LAN, 4 10/100BaseTx + 1 USB LAN port" and on the side of the box it says AR-6024wbA Annex A (ADSL over POTS)

I am using this with a laptop, with a Netgear 54mpbs wireless card WG511.

Hope this may help. The manual may as well be written in Taiwanese as far as I am concerned, I don't understand very much of the terminology at all. I am thinking I will have to take another trip out or get someone else in to sort it out for me. Sad

Edit:

I have just googled the AR6024 which would appear to be the model number, and virtually all the websites which are referring to this are in foreign languages! Just my luck.

Assuming I can ever get this set up right, could you also tell me if it will be the right specifications for when my line is upgraded or will it not be good enough, because if this is the case, I may as well bin it now and buy another one that is easy to set up
N/A

Search for an option called NAT, an enable itSmiley

that should secure it!
N/A

Hi
If you wireless part of the router is factory default then you will be transmitting and recieving without WEP/WKA etc security turned on. NAT will most likly already be turned on, as this is a factory default setting for most if not all adsl router manufacturer's.

Have a look at this doc and it should help and tell you how to setup your router correctly. If you have the option to do this using a hard wired connection i.e. non wireless during the setup, you can correct any mistates or problems if made because to will not be using wireless whilst configuring wireless security.(a bit like chopping you own legs off half way through the job of configuring)

http://www.edimax.nl/html/Faq/Wireless_WEP_Security_v11.pdf

also

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WG511_Ref_Guide.pdf

Good Luck
N/A

The links posted by Narcosis should give you the info you need to configure wireless security. I couldn't find any info on this model so I suspect it may have been discontinued and is no longer supported. If you'd like, I'd be happy to configure it if you can enable the remote management feature of the device. I guess the settings could also be saved to a file for easy configuration later on should you need it.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have had a quick look through the link that has been posted, but I still think it may be beyond my abilities to alter anything on my settings. I will however, take a better look later when I have more time to digest things.

I am still abit concerned as to whether this router is up to the job when the line upgrade takes place. My friend has recently got wireless broadband, and asked me what my speed was as she wanted to check hers was okay. Mine reads 11.0 Mbps, and she was amazed, as hers is 54 Mbps. Now this doesn't mean a lot to me, but I think it means that hers is far superior? Will my router be good enough? If not, I will get rid of it and buy a newer one that is easier to set up (she managed to do her Belkin one with zero knowledge)
AMB
Grafter

Don't worry about those figures...

What you're seeing is the speed at which your PC it talking to your router. Your router is running in 802.11b (11Mbs) and hers is a slightly different protocol called 802.11g (54 Mbs).

Whilst it sounds as though her broadband connection is over 4 times faster than yours this isn't the case. The important thing is the weakest link in the chain which wull undoubtedly be the speed at which your router talks to your ISP, often referred to as your line speed. 2 Mbs, perhaps or possibly faster if you've been "upgraded" to maxDSL.

You friend may have a 0.5 Mbs connection, and you 2 Mbs, and your connection is still 4 times faster than hers, regardless of how fast your respective PC's talk to your wireless routers.