cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

Snarf
Grafter

Help!

Ok, got my Netgear 834G router all setup and it works fine wired. However I've tried installing the wireless dongle onto a laptop, everything installed and seemed ok. Went to run the Netgear monitoring utility and it failed to start (MFC application error).

Removed the Netgear software and just tried the windows stuff (XP SP2). Detected the network let me connect and everything seemed fine. However the connection seems to drop, actually rather it stops functioning, the wireless network utility "says" it's still connected (Excellent signal strength), but no internet activity.

So then I suddenly thought D'oh! I should've uninstalled all the old Belkin stuff from the previous wireless card. Did that then went to reinstall the Netgear software, however halfway through installing it says it can't find the file EAPPkt.sys. It's not on the install disk and nowhere on the harddrive (in fact it seemed to be located with the old Belkin software).

So now I'm stuck, there's a half working wireless connection but it's not usable. Searched the net and Netgear's support site and found nothing - any ideas?
3 REPLIES
Snarf
Grafter

Help!

Update:

I've installed the newest (Beta) version of the software and drivers from the Netgear website and things seem to be installed. However, every so often the light on the dongle (WG111v2 version) will just go out and the wireless connection goes.
holdtight
Grafter

Help!

Does it get very hot to the touch as this has been a problem with some of the netgear dongles

Is "turn this device off to save power" unticked under netgear wireless adapters - properties in device manager
Snarf
Grafter

Help!

It does get reasonably hot. I've since found out that with some of these dongles, the WPA encryption can cause problems and the connection can drop. The solution seems to be to move back to WEP encryption instead, however it seems (touch wood) to be holding out on WPA at the moment. Interestingly, on reboot the Netgear software has disappeared from the icon tray and WZC seems to have taken over control (which may be a good thing, I don't know).