cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with weak signal? or what? with a LinkSys WAG54G

N/A

Hi
I originally posted this to the wrong forum - so apologoes to any who read it there.
At home I am running two Desktop PCs and a laptop.
The two desktops are hardwired into a LINKSYS WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. The laptop has a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHZ Notebook adapter.
The two desktops work fine with the broadband cannection. It is with the laptop I have problems.
The laptop broadband works fine provided I use it on the desk where the WAG54G is located or in very close proximity to the room. Elsewhere in the house it fails to connect.
The house is a 1920-30s building with solid interior walls - mostly of brick and breeze block. It is a chalet bungalow so I do not have easy access to gap in the ceiling and the upper floors as these are virtually sealed.
Ideally we would like to use the laptop in any room in the house. I am happy to buy signal enhancers or a better broadband adapter but I do not understand sufficiently about networks and wireless to allow me to do so without advice.
I would really appreciate some help and would be very grateful.
I did not install the network myself but a technical colleague of my son did it. When I queried the poor performance of the wireless link he could only suggest we also hardwire the laptop, but this is not what is needed. I do not think he understands much more than me about wireless connections.
Thanks for reading this.
regards

John
11 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

The age and thicknes of the walls and ceilings of the property are what the problem is here not with the hardware itself

you could either try making your own directional arial out of plastic and tinfoil a bit blue peter i know but it does work as linksys dont make an alternative antenna for this model, you could also try moving the router to another point in the house and see if you can get a better signal which is what i would try first

or if that doesnt work buy yourself a linksys wireless access point and situate it between your router and where you want the laptop to be and that should solve your problem
N/A

Hi
Thanks for the response. Being ignorant I do not know what a wireless access point is? Before I go shopping can you assist, by pointing me to an article or explaination?
Happy New Year to and thank you again.
holdtight
Grafter

Hi John
no problem at all ! an explanation of the workings of access points can be read Here

And Here is just one example of the linksys wap54g access point but if you shop around you may find one cheaper but this is a fair price
N/A

Hi
Thanks for getting back sorry for my delay in replying.
The problem was solved yesterday by the Lynksys router dying :x
So today (having got my son to go halves :twisted: ) I have ordered a WAG54GX2 gateway from DSL.
I am assured that as long as my bank balance holds out I can boost the signal from this should it still fail to penetrate the walls with a WAP54GX Access Point!
If you are interested I will update you on whether I achieve success.
I had a sharp learning curve yesterday on how to create a network and link two PCs using an old Voyager 205! So today I was feeling cock-a-hoop until Norton refused all emails and I had to upgrade that Cry
Well I better do some work to earn the pennies.
Thanks again for your interest and help.
John
N/A

If you are interested I will update you on whether I achieve success.

Of course we are interested, always glad to hear of a happy ending.
Here's hoping all goes well
holdtight
Grafter

Absolutely John as Paul says always keen to know all went well, i hope you do get it sorted without any probs

Bill.
N/A

For those with the older style WAG54G (ver 1not 2 & not the new silver one) there was a lot of issues with this router, namely dropping the wireless connection and poor signal. I used to own one and suffered from dropping, and poor wireless signal, as did a lot of my customers.

There was a firmware flash that fixed these issues, which was not published on thier site, only thier FTP.

Sadly mine died and now I run a Netgear DG834G with no problems.
N/A

Hi everyone

Just an update on the replacement router (WAG54GX2) - it went like a dream and within 5 mins of installing i was burning the 'net. Cheesy

I await the arrival of a notebook adapter I am shipping from the States then I will start to see if i get a better wireless connection with my laptop. The cost from the USA is half the price of the same adapter in the UK (incl. postage).

I am begining to suspect that previously the very weak connection i formed was not with the old router but with a wireless card on my PC! I have now removed the card and will update you later on my success or failure.

Cheers
John
holdtight
Grafter

Thats great John glad its going well !

Bill.
N/A

LinkSys Weak Signal??

We live in a 1930s cottage with very thick walls of engineering brick. I just invested in the LinkSys GX2 Router and it is very good.
The signal on my laptop is always rated at Very Good to Excellent almost everywhere in the building; that's the built in WiFi on the Rock laptop which uses the Intel Centrino technology. Impressive!

I am currently using just the standard LinkSys G version of the network card on the PCs - haven't needed to upgrade to the much more expensive GX card. Signal Low to Good, depending on location. The USB version, surprisingly, consistently better than the PCI one.
N/A

I too have a wag54g which had problems to start with.
For some intresting reading
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11330&p=48847
you might also be intrested in the 3rd party firmwares on the site
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=30

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=205861&p=66#r1304