cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Wi-Fi too slow!

N/A

Help! Wi-Fi too slow!

Just been Maxed (it's still working!) but it's raised an issue with my Wi-Fi network. I've been doing a few speed test downloads and have found that when the wireless connection speed on my laptop is down to 11Mbps, the Wi-Fi can't keep up and download speeds show about 8~900k when normally it's 1900. As soon as I move the laptop closer to the router, and get 54Mbps, everything's fine. The router and laptop are on the same floor, only two walls apart. The laptop shows the signal strength as 2 bars. The router is a Netgear DG834gt, the laptop is a HP with built in 54g Wi-Fi.

A desktop connected to the router by ethernet shows the full connection speed, so it proves the ADSL connection is not at fault. Another desktop with a 108Mbps USB dongle also has a poor connection and signal strength, and that's only one room apart.

I really don't know what to do to resolve this. If the router was two floors away I could understand. Do I need to get a MIMO router? What else can I try?

Thanks! Cheesy
2 REPLIES
N/A

Help! Wi-Fi too slow!

With all wireless if it get any sort of interferance it has to resend packets and it soud as that is what is happening.

To solve it is hit and miss anything could interfere with it anone else on a channel close to you? Any radio dec phone microwave power cables beetween the 2 points Often moving the arial a foot can cure it its suck it ad see.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Help! Wi-Fi too slow!

If you are on the top floor, try moving the router to the loft as partition walls don't extend into lofts unless they are supporting roof woodwork (trusses or purlins) - and ceilings are usually good for passing signals - unless your house has ceiling plasterboard with foil backing!
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017