cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you upgraded from DG834G to DG834GT??

MarkAngel
Grafter

If so have you noticed that the 108 Routers strenght isn't as good as the G version??

I have a wireless PC in another room which used to get a good signal strengh from my DG834G Router, then upgraded to to the GT and now the signal strenth is Low.

I want to know if anyone else has encountered this before I give netgear the brunt end of my grief?

Anyone....anyone?

Mark
8 REPLIES
N/A

I just bought one of the GT routers and noticed if you upgrade the firmware then turn the Atheros function on I can get the signal to go another 200ft, I also noticed it blocks out my other 3 neighbors signals then as well ^_^
N/A

The G is famous for providing a slower speed wireless connection, but over a much longer distance, so for many folks who only wish to browse the web over a 1 or 2Mbs connection, the lower speeds, (at some distances down to 4Mbs) don't make much difference.
However if you are using other LAN resources over such a slow connection, I can understand it would be frustrating.
Netgear do some products which can extend the wireless range, such as boosters where you plug on end into the wall, and run a cable into a spare router port, and a second unit whic just plugs into a wall socket wherever (within the existing signal) you want a stronger signal.
The repeater unit should then transmit the signal for a further 200m optimum.
www.netgear.com
MarkAngel
Grafter

Hmmm,
The reason why I upgraded was to take full use of the 108Mbps speeds. I think there is little point in having it if the signal strength is considerably less than its predecessor. It's not me who uses that wireless PC, but even simple internet browsing is interrupted on the occasional signal drop, it then re-connects itself and you can carry on. Evil

I always flash my routers as soon as they are out of the box (it made a massive difference on Dg834G, and hoped for the same on the GT)

I did turn on the Atheros eXtended Range (XR) and noticed no difference at all, perhaps a restart of the router might have helped at this point. I'll have another go tonight, but if the performance carries on like this, then this router is going to be shelved and kept as a spare...(although I will check with others who have the same one to make sure it is not faulty first). :roll:
After this I would be quite happy to cope with 54Mbps with good strength, than 108Mbps with Low/Poor strength.

I love Netgear stuff and find the quality very high (and I've used quite a lot of them), which is why I think there may be a problem with the wireless portion of the Router. :?

Mark
N/A

Hi there,

This is not standard behaviour with the GT. If following a reboot, you are still having problems I would recommend raising the issue with Netgear.
MarkAngel
Grafter

Yep....Figured as much...

Cheers.

Mark
MarkAngel
Grafter

I managed to get it swapped out with my supplier (hurrah).

The new one arrived and is even worse than its predesassor!!! Evil

The ping problem it had, had gone, but my 2MB ADSL line was peaking at 1MB on the new router!!!

After scanning the forums on Netgears website it would appear that I am sooooo not alone!!

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE DG834GT ROUTERS!!!

You will be in for a world of disappointment.
It's back in it's box and will be filed away under Emergency spare!!

M :roll:
N/A

Thank god i did not buy the gt. I am glad i got the g
MarkAngel
Grafter

Excellent Choice!!!! Cool

Except for the fact that it's not Gbit and 108Mbps it practically perfect..

M