cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgive me for being a bit dim, but...

N/A

I want to set up a wireless network/internet access in my house. I'm currently on a Broadband PAYG (15Gb) account using a wired modem. Is it just a case of buying a wireless router or is there anything else I'm missing?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

wireless cards for your computers?
N/A

Aye, my new laptop has one built in, but I'll need to get one for my main computer.

Anything else?
Community Veteran

Not if your main PC is net to the router, you can still use the wired connection.
In fact it is recommended.

Chilly
N/A

Thanks Chilly,

So I would get a router and plug it in to my main computer as I would do a normal ADSL modem, but use wireless to connect to the laptop?

This is the first time I've tried anything like this and I'm trying to understand the process before I splash out on the hardware!

Is there a particular type of router I should be looking for to allow me to do that, or will they all do it? Any recommendations on a cheap-ish router?
N/A

Be sure to get a router with an integrated ADSL modem.

For the brand/make of the router, I'd suggest Netgear, they have good setup guides with step by step wizards.
Community Veteran

So I would get a router and plug it in to my main computer as I would do a normal ADSL modem,

Not quite, your modem will use a USB connection.
The router will use a RJ45 Either net connection, so you will need a (wired) network card in your PC. But must have this build in.

Chilly
N/A

Right, so I need a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (preferably Netgear) and an Ethernet network card?
N/A

Unless your motherboard already has a built in Ethernet Port.
N/A

That's a good point! I'll have to check on that!
N/A

My impetuous youthfulness* has led me to buy an ADSL Router this lunchtime. I'm quite sure I have either an Ethernet connection on my motherboard, or if not, I've got a network card or two lying around somewhere, or I can pick up a cheap one from PC World tomorrow.

Hope this works now! :lol:

* I wish...
N/A

Right, well it seems to work. I'm connected to the internet, and my laptop computer can also connect to the internet across the wireless network.

Now all I want to do is be able to see and manipulate files on the remote computer from the computer I'm currently working on. They can see each other - I've got them both on the same Workgroup and when I go to:

My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers

both appear in the list. But, if I try to open up the remote computer, I get a message saying:

"\\XXXXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

Ok, fine. So how do I set up permissions?
Community Veteran

Are you running any kind of software firewall? These usually have to be setup to allow local computer access. E.g. for zonealarm you have to put the IP address of your other PCs in the trusted zone. For other firewalls you will need to read the manual/on-line help.
N/A

Thanks for your response Peter.

I had just solved the problem when I had the email telling me you'd replied to this post, and you were right - it was my firewall (ZoneAlarm).