cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed IP address problems

norton35
Dabbler

I hope someone can help with what I think is a really simple problem. I use a Mac Powerbook, running OSX 10.4.2, connected wirelessly to a BT Voyager router. Everything works really well and I'm very happy with my Plus Net service. However, I'd like to make some files available on my built-in Apache server to some colleagues I collaborate with. Plus Net has given me a fixed IP address and I'd like them to use that as a URL to get to my server. However, when I try to use the url I get to the home page of my router instead (normally 168.192.1.1). What settings do I need to change on the router so that the fixed IP address gets people to my computer? I hope someone can help me with this ... I've tried everything to no avail. I'd like to give them access to a Filemaker database on port 591, do I also have to make changes to my OSX firewall?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You will need to forward port 80 (http://) and port 591 (your DB) to the mac.
norton35
Dabbler

Forwarding

That's what I'd worked out what I might need to do, but what settings do I have to look for on the router to change them? Many thanks
Alecto
Grafter

Here is a guide to port forwarding on your router.
norton35
Dabbler

Port forwarding

Great. Many thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. I'll give it a go straight away.
norton35
Dabbler

Problems

Don't think that's going to work. When I look at the router I see that the WAN IP address is the static IP address assigned by Plus Net. But when people use that address they cannot connect and when I use it I just get through to my router's home page. I want traffic addressed to the static IP address to get through to my server on my Mac. How do I do this?
Community Veteran

You cannot access your routers external (PN) IP from within your local network because the router does not support this type of connection (it ge's confused and thus assukes you want to access the setup pages as if you had accessed it via your local IP address (which will be 192.168.1.1).

You have to access your Apache server via it's local IP or via localhost and only your collegues must use your PN IP.

If no-one can access your web server via the PlusNet IP then you have your port forwarding wrong on the router (the port forwarding for ports 80 & 591 must be directed to your Mac's local IP address), or your PC's Apache webserver is not responding to the connection requests (this should be configured to listen on localhost). If you have a local firewall running on OSX, that must also be configured to allow through incoming connection attempts on ports 80 & 591 so your webserver and database server actually see the connections from outside. I suspect it's your OSX firewall stopping you in this case.
norton35
Dabbler

I've configured my OSX firewall to accept traffic on ports 80 and 591. I've asked friends to access my server using my IP address. They can see my Apache server on port 80, but appending :591 to the URL does not get them to my Filemaker IWP database. I can't understand this. I've set port forwarding on my router to send traffic on :80 and :591 to the same ports on my host machine, but the Filemaker traffic doesn't seem to be going through.
Community Veteran

Can you access your filemaker database by appending :591 to your local IP address or 'localhost' or 127.0.0.1 URL in your browser? If not then you need to investigate why?

Does your filemaker server have an internal web server interface? If not, you can't connect with a browser.
Community Veteran

Just to confirm, I can connect to your system on both port 80 & 591 (and filemaker does have a web interface to answer my own Q above).
norton35
Dabbler

Thanks Peter. I can connect OK using localhost, and a friend has just confirmed that he too can get through on port 80, so I've asked him to try port 591 now. Many thanks for your help