cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending range

N/A

Extending range

Anyone have any information on how to extend range of a wireless router. Have tried to get information on DIY ariels but no luck. :lol:
3 REPLIES
N/A

Extending range

There is actually quite a lot of info on this published in the wider internet. The pringles can design is one that caught a lot of imaginations but there are others too but they are all a bit hit and miss.

If you have a router with proper connectors for an antenna then you are in luck but you must realise that anything you gain in terms of range you will lose in terms of flexibility. A standard rubber disk antenna is unidirectional but only has a gain of about 1. If you are interested in trying a long shot accross a field to a friend then you will need to look at a more highly directional antennas. There are yagi antenna around with a gain of about 20dB which wiould make a huge difference. As I said earlier there are some DIY designs round but you mileage may vary from that claimed.

I have seen a template for a 2 dimensional parabolic antenna that uses a rubber duck as the driven element (or indeed a mini USB WIFI adaptor). I think it was a NZ website but I saw it a long time ago and cant remember. Even if it only has a gain of 10 then this would nmake a huge difference.

It can be done. Good luck,

James
N/A

Extending range

I saw an article once about a group who managed 20+Km with (fairly) standard 802.11b kit.

Admittedly they used huge parabollic reflectors to get it going in the right direction!

Hmm!
N/A

Extending range

About 1 year ago the record was about 30km. I heard recently that someone had claimed 70km. AMazing what you can do with an antenna with good gain.

James