Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend coverage of Netgear DG834GT

gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A friend has replaced his BT ADSL router with a Netgear DG834GT, hoping to give coverage around his house and into his summer house. Unfortunately it doesn't quite reach the summer house.

He doesn't want to relocate the Netgear, so asked me if I knew how to extend the range a bit. After a tiny bit of research I told him what I believed the solution would be - a Netgear WG602v3 WAP in repeater mode.

However upon further investigation today I found out that it won't work as repeater with the DG834GT since they don't have WDS in their wireless routers Shockedops:

OK I though, replace the DG834GT with the WG602 and his old BT wired router and buy another WG602 and use that as the repeater, but I read that it doesn't support WPA in repeater mode :?

Another option may be the DG834PN, but I'm not getting a warm feeling about that from reports that I have read, where it doesn't actually seem to give much range benefit at all over the DG834GT.

He has a mixture of computers, a Dell PC using ethernet, a G5 Apple using ethernet (no airport card in it) and the PC laptop with a Netgear wireless card in it. Does not want to run ethernet cables round the house, or string antennas up in the loft, so I'm looking for some advice on the best approach.

Many thanks
5 REPLIES
N/A

The DG834GT will extend the range - but as it is a netgear proprietry standard, *ALL* client devices will have to have a relevant netgear adaptor card or USB stick. From what I can gather, he is running mixed vendor adaptors, and the whole system will at best probably only be running in G mode.

You will get full coverage and speed by putting the DG834GT in "Auto 108" mode in the routers wireless config, and by using only WG511T laptop cards, WG311T PCI cards, or WG111T USB stick. You can use a mixture of these as they use the same Netgear wireless standard as the DG834GT.

Failing that, you could wait for the 802.11n products due around June/July. I wouldn't buy any of the draft N stuff.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the reply, the existing PC laptop is the only wireless device he has and he is using a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card, but I don't know which model other than he bought it along with the DG834GT.

I can see I am going to have to take a trip through to see him again and see for myself how the coverage is.
N/A

in that case if it was an official netgear bundle then these 2 at least should work OK and with better range - make sure they are setup correctly however. Also, if anything else happens to be connected to the wireless access point that is not running the netgear standard then I believe the most you will get is standard G coverage and 54Mbps.
N/A

Extending range of Netgear WG834GT

You don't say how far away your summerhouse is, but for what its worth I have Netgear WG834GT installed and get around 100 meters range to a laptop with Netgear WG111T USB card.
Smile
N/A

Have you considered the Netgear Range Extenders?
clicky to Netgear
Fair enough it only runs at 54Mbs, but for most applications that should be sufficient - esp for web browsing etc.
Part code for these is WGBX102 FYI.