cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems: Linksys router - 550 relay not permitted

N/A

HELP!

Just installed a new Linksys Wireless router which I've configured to get on to my Plusnet account - and it's working.

I'm using a Netgear wireless card to connect to it using WEP encryption and can browse the web and pick up my Plusnet emails.

However, when I try and send emails I'm getting an error 550 - relay not permitted message. Outlook is configured to connect through the LAN, it's not trying to do it through an old ISP. It was working fine through my old Voyager router.

I've tried the email settings through a friends Plusnet connection on a different machine and that's working - so the problem must be with either Plusnets SMTP server hating the Linksys router, or something else I haven't thought of?

In complete paranoia, I've talked through all of the settings with Plusnet who confirmedf they were correct. They suggested flushing my mailboxes, but as I can connect from a different location on a different machine, I don't think that's the problem.

Help greatly appereciated.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi David,

I've been doing some rooting around, and I have one suggestion.

When you set up the router, did you set up MAC address filtering?

It's quite possible that you have inadvertantly set up a rule which has blocked port 25 (SMTP Protocol) on your wireless cards' mac address.

I'll scratch around for some more potential answers to your little quandry.

Cheers,

Roger.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: Email problems: Linksys router - 550 relay not permitted

HELP!

However, when I try and send emails I'm getting an error 550 - relay not permitted message. Outlook is configured to connect through the LAN, it's not trying to do it through an old ISP. It was working fine through my old Voyager router.

with every email address you try? Or just one in particular?

What settings have you put in?
N/A

Thanks both - just back from the pub.

I don't think I set up any MAC address filtering, no. I'll double check that in the morning as I can't get back to the system til the morning). Just so I'm clear, you think I might have stopped a specific MAC address from accessing port 25?

Both domain name and standard plusnet email addresses are affected - the settings in the boxes are all present and correct. In a panic I deleted them both and re-input, just to be sure. The contents are definitely correct, and it's not trying to authenticate with the server.

A bit fed up! :-(
Community Veteran

What do you mean by 'Outlook is configured to connect through the LAN'?

Are you using outlook (what version?) or outlook express?

Some guides on setting both up can be found here just in case it shows something different.

550 relay not permitted is a message returned by a mail server so it has got through your router fine. It usually means you are trying to send email out via an SMTP server that you are not authorised to use - i.e. some other ISP's SMTP server and not relay.plus.net. Can you post the full message that you get in case there are any clues what mail server is returning the error message - it may not be PlusNet.

What from address are you using? Is this a domain you have on your account or your username.plus.com email address? If its a domain, the PN DNS servers / systems may not have correctly added the domain so PNs SMTP servers do not recognise the from domain as being one they control and thus won't allow it through.
N/A

Hi Peter

Using Outlook XP. Before I go on, I must again stress that it was working perfectly before moving from the Voyager modem to the Linksys router - I can't see how it can be anything other than a config problem with the router.

But I've been wrong many times before!

What do you mean by 'Outlook is configured to connect through the LAN'? Just that on the Connection settings it's not trying to dial another ISP connection, but rather "Connect thro' my LAN"

They are both domains on my account, therefore both mail/relay.plus.net - as before respectively.

The full message is simply an unable to deliver: 550 relay not permitted. It doesn't appear to have any message headers - although it does seem to be going as far as the server before coming back as sometimes there's a small time delay.

Thanks again
N/A

I'll post more details once I can get back on the system. I feel sure it must be an obvious one...

Going to bed optimistic...*

*Foolishly
N/A

for the outgoing server enter 212.159.11.46 and see if that works.
Try ping relay.plus.net and see if you get a reply.

It could be a dns issue if you have the dns set to the router.

Other than that check you reply address is set to a plus net email not an domain one remove all ref to any domains and see if that works.

Are you sure outlook is setup for the internet and not as a workgroup connecting to exchange server using imap?

Download Thunderbird its free and will pull the setting from outlook and see if that works
N/A

Thanks MrWright

I'll check all these in the morning, don't know why I didn't ping it before I posted - sorry!

The email address is set as the domain, not a plusnet one - although that hasn't caused me any probs in the past - I'll change it though to see if it helps, good idea.

"Are you sure outlook is setup for the internet and not as a workgroup connecting to exchange server using imap?" Yes, pretty certain. That would have been something I specified in the installation a couple of years ago - wouldn't it? If I can check, then I don't know how!
N/A

Bugger. Ping works with the expected results...

Still no joy. :-(
Community Veteran

David,

It seems there is now a Service Status with regards to email problems

Link

I think this may be the answer you are looking for.

@craigmsmith

What are you trying to achieve with a ping test?

Kind regards,

Roger
N/A

Thanks Roger, I'll have a look

Re the Ping test: from what I can tell the messages aren't getting to the server, I wanted to make sure that my new router could at least reach it.

The postings by davidwilde are actually me, it's my father in laws computer, who is even less techie than me; hence the confusion.

Have I broken some forum rule with that post below with [art censored? If so, sorry!

I think I'm just trying everything that and (and the collective wisdom on here) can think of!

Thanks

Craig
Community Veteran

The mail messages are getting to a mail server which is where the 'relay not permitted' message is generated/comes from. THsi means tey are going through your router.

What you need to determine is if it is going to the correct mail server (rely.plus.net) or somewhere else. Then, if it is getting to relay.plus.net and being rejected then that is something PN need to investigate.

Is it only mail sent from your domain email address that is getting this message. What happens if you send email as you@username.plus.com? If that goes through OK then the problem is likely to be PNs mail server not knowing it should allow mail sent from your domain - again this would need to be reported to PlusNet for investigation.

So the key thing to find out is what mail server the mail is actually going to. Does your email clint have a logging option which may show this. Failing that you may need to look deeper at the actual IP traffic using something like wireshark which is a protocol analyser application (its free).
N/A

Thanks Peter.

It's both email addresses which are affected.

"Does your email client have a logging option which may show this." I'm not sure... Bot a quick answer might be that when I'm in Outlook's options on David's machine, I get the failure message back from both mail accounts - both of which are using relay.plus.net

Again, putting these account settings in to my own computer on my own Plusnet account allow both of David's email addresses to work without question.

I really appreciate your (and everybody elses) help. Thanks.
N/A

Update

A quick update

I don't know why really, but hard wiring the computer to the router has solved the problem. It must have been something to do with the wireless link. I really don't know what!

Cheers