Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

I'd better apologise in advance but i really need to vent my frustration here !!! Evil

Ive just shelled out £130 on a Netgear 108Mbps Rangemax wireless router as i understood my old Voyager 105 wouldn't be any good when i get upgraded, although some people now say it will ??!? (Ok, if im honest that wasnt the only reason, i am planning to get a laptop very soon) so after a lot of research and recommendations i plum for the Netgear, this also came with a free wireless adapter (a good job as i would of been another £50 out of pocket). As many of the reviews suggest, i was up and running in 10 minutes, great i thought. Nobody told me i would be sitting here 7 hours later trying to achieve a better wireless connection than 54Mbps. Ive configured everything as they say, upgraded the firmware which served only to reduce the speed to 36Mpbs and prevent me from applying the security (if i did all i got was 1Mbps and no internet at all).
I might just as well of purchased a cheaper 54Mpbs router for what i have got here. Ive finaly given in and e-mailed Netgear technical support but if dont have any joy i shall be returning to my trusted USB modem which has never given me a moments trouble in the last 18 months - thats assuming it will work on Max....

I suppose i could use it as a wired only connection but that rather defeats the object really.

Now it looks like my e-mails aren't getting out, is that this piece of junk or some other problem? Probably just me losing the plot.

My advice, DONT BUY NETGEAR !!!!

Thanks for listening, they say a problem shared is a problem halved Wink
21 REPLIES
N/A

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Is it a "pre-n" specification one?
rja66
Rising Star

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Yes, Super 'G'
Community Veteran

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

It may have been more helpful if you had also posted the model.

If Expansys sell it they will have a forum here;
http://www.expansys.com/forumoverviewcat.asp?man=NETGEAR

Which may give some pointers to your problems, and their forums are open to non-customers to post, you just need to register.

One thing to be careful about is when looking at quoted wireless speeds, is if the speeds are full (both directions at once) or half (single direction) duplex.

With hardwired Ethernet it was always the convention to quote the Half duplex speed.

But with wireless Ethernet the marketing men, in a pressure to show every increasing speed, changed this convention to show the Full duplex. So a 54M wireless connection, which can simultaneous Transmit and Receive is shown as 108M, in marketing material.
For example the D-Link 22M “plus” range will only give an 11M connection.

Chilly
rja66
Rising Star

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Thanks Chilly,
why dont they point this out to people if this is the case, i might of been getting the 108Mbps without realising it then.

To update, i have received a reply from Netgear Tech support which talked me through another firmware upgrade and router re-boot etc, now i cannot sync at all and therefore access there on-line configuration page in order to re-configure. I am now back on my trusted usm modem connection.

Wish i hadn't bought this thing ! :roll:

Incidently the model is a DG834PN (i hate in when people miss out the obvious Wink )

cheers
avalon
Grafter

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Another reason you might not be getting the full 108 is if someone in a neighbouring property has a wireless router also. IIRC the 108Mbs needs two adjacent channels to operate and defaults to the middle ones.

So if someone else has taken a middle channel through the default setting on their router yours will fall back to single channel and 54Mbs. I think they are supposed to automatically try other channels but it doesn't always work in practice. If you get the netgear working again try manually selecting different wireless channels in the setup to see if it improves things.
rja66
Rising Star

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

With using 108 it says that only channel 6 can be used, in fact all other options are greyed out.

I have spent a few more tiresome hours this morning and managed to get connected again although having just returned to use it find i cannot access any sites despite being told i am connected, a router re-boot and a windows connection repair didnt help. Im now back on the usm modem yet again.

There is something seriously wrong with this thing. Comments on other forums seem to suggest similar poor results using rangemaster adapters - why didnt i see these when i was doing my research into which router to go for.

Now, wheres that sledgehammer.......
N/A

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

i cannot access any sites despite being told i am connected, a router re-boot and a windows connection repair didnt help. Im now back on the usm modem yet again.

Do you mean, your wireless card or equivalent says it's talking to the router, and maybe you can see your router's configuration page, but the rest of the computer is blind to any such connection? Something similar happened to me, with a different brand of gear.

Are you certain that your network setup in Windows is correct? Changing from a modem to a router means you now have a "de facto" network, and everything has to match. Mine finally worked for the first time last night - and I still don't quite know what I did... Sad I'd recommend persevering, though, because using a router of some sort will give you a hardware firewall.

Alternatively, do you have a problem with a software firewall?
rja66
Rising Star

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Do you mean, your wireless card or equivalent says it's talking to the router, and maybe you can see your router's configuration page, but the rest of the computer is blind to any such connection?

Yes, basically. All lights show connected and the wireless wizard scans, finds my network but fails to give internet access. 45 mins on the phone to tech support got me no further, the best they could come up with after performing all of the routine procedures which i had already done was to suggest my provider had changed my login password :roll: - this type of get out really annoys me, i did however check to confirm i had typed it correctly (as silly mistakes do happen!) & then proved by re-connecting my trusty modem that this was not the case. I now await a call from a 'senior technical consultant', cant wait......

Not sure what you mean by "de facto" network Huh I did temporarily turn off my software firewall to prove that isnt having any effect.

Glad to see one of us is up and running. Smiley
N/A

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Yes, basically. All lights show connected and the wireless wizard scans, finds my network but fails to give internet access.

That's pretty much what happened to me. I think I had something wrong in the network settings; My Computer > Control Panel > Network. I found two entries, one for the PC card, and another for the PC card as a TCP/IP provider (if that's the right word). You have to have the settings in those match the router, including channel number. I don't know what I did right, but suddenly I had a wired connection through the router. I still didn't have a wireless one as I got an error message, "Your PC does not have a valid IP address." Fortunately that was covered in the troubleshooting section of the manual - run a command prompt, run ipconfig (or winipconfig on older versions of WIndows) and ultimately use it to clear and then renew IP addresses.. But the key thing was to get the gateway working with a wired connection first.

45 mins on the phone to tech support got me no further, the best they could come up with after performing all of the routine procedures which i had already done was to suggest my provider had changed my login password :roll: - this type of get out really annoys me

I contacted PlusNet's tech support via the Web, using someone else's computer, and explained my problem. Their reply - "this was an internal networking problem so they couldn't help unfortunatly." I realise they can't make house calls, but as I couldn't get the working WiFi connection I needed, I was close to dumping broadband and PlusNet altogether and going to a "free" dialup ISP. A more helpful attitude would be a good idea. I got more help (or at least pointers) from the forum and from Google.

i did however check to confirm i had typed it correctly (as silly mistakes do happen!)

Have you considered keeping your passwords in something like KeePass http://keepass.sourceforge.net or Pins http://www.mirekw.com/
or Passpack http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/
All are free; although I use Passpack most ATM, I'm thinking of moving to KeePass because of more features, and because it can more or less automate logons for you. Both KeePass and Pins try not to send things to the clipboard, so if you're running a clipboard extender, you won't have to keep cleaning password information out of it. KeePass apparently has a bit more organisational ability, Pins a bit more sophistication in terms of log-on scripts. These were briefly discussed somewhere on Donation Coder http://www.donationcode.com You can read their forums withoout registering, though you have to register (free) to post.

Not sure what you mean by "de facto" network Huh

Only that, AIUI, once you have a router, you in effect have a network. This was something I hadn't appreciated when I started.

I did temporarily turn off my software firewall to prove that isnt having any effect.

Same here, so it's probably something in your network settings.

Glad to see one of us is up and running. Smiley

Well, it's run once. What happens next time I turn it on is anybody's guess :roll: I wasn't going to keep it running 24/7 for security reasons. The idea is to eventually put it on a time switch.
johnmglen
Grafter

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

I have this model of Modem Router. It has been faultless, was up and running in 5 minutes and has worked perfectly wired and wireless for 4 months solid. Great product IMO - sorry Wink

54 Mb anywhere in the house or garden with the lappy too.

You can't get higher unless both adaptors are super G or something anyway.
rja66
Rising Star

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

You can't get higher unless both adaptors are super G or something anyway.

I was attempting to get the wireless connection using the super G adapter and only registered around 36 Mbps on average and that was irrelevant as it was so slow that you would have to wait about a minute for the page to come up.

Anyway, Netgear didnt come back to me within 48 hours as promised, after 3 days i had to contact them again. This time they have said to return the unit for a replacement. I dont actualy want a replacement now as i have been totaly put off by Netgear. We will see what happens. Reading the forums it would seem people are either totaly satisfied or not satisfied at all with this product.
johnmglen
Grafter

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

rja66...

I hope this is down to a bad product and a replacement sorts it for you. Like I said, mine is fine and looking at your experiences, it may well be that you have a faulty one.
rja66
Rising Star

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

Just to update, i have now had a full refund on this product. I will not be considering Netgear again (i realise this may be a little unfair as it may of been a faulty unit or something i wasnt doing correctly). This now gives me the problem of which router to try next however.
N/A

Dont buy a Netgear !!!

guys havin probs settin up my netgear too, im quite new to this....

... just set up (back on voyager 105 for min) and every time i try to connect to router on its address i get the dial up box asking for username n password (not the admin one, the ISP one)

any help?

Cheers