cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't let me do it!

N/A

Don't let me do it!

Hi all,

Due to recent connection issues I am thinking of jumping ship. Short story is once rock-solid connection is not anymore. In a last attempt to remain with Plusnet would a wireless set-up be better than the wired one I have now?

1 PC in upstairs room. One floor up, two rooms removed from BT Master socket.
1PC in attic. Two floors up, directly above BT Master socket

Present lash up. Extension lead from Master socket to first floor. Extension leads from first floor to PCs. 1 combined telephone\answer machine connected to Master socket.

House = 3 bedroom Victorian era. In the past gave up on cordless phones because of loss and weak signal in above PC areas.

Would a wireless set-up have enough punch to connect the PCs through the various walls and floors?

Thanks,

Fred,
2 REPLIES
N/A

Don't let me do it!

Hi Fred,

From our own experience, Wi-Fi transmissions and signal power in some of the larger Victorian houses has been hit and miss.

In the past we have had to supply/ install repeater / booster units.

However Netgear now have the RangeMax Wireless Router whch has been proven to work well in similar circumstances.

Product details and specs are here

Obviously I cant give any assurance that it will work in your circumstances, only a site survey could do that. But it gets great reports.

Bear in mind that this is only a router and requires to be connected to an ADSL modem by Cat5 patch lead.

Hope that helps.
N/A

Don't let me do it!

In the past we have had to supply/ install repeater / booster units.

However Netgear now have the RangeMax Wireless Router whch has been proven to work well in similar circumstances...

..Bear in mind that this is only a router and requires to be connected to an ADSL modem by Cat5 patch lead.

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much, Mark. Had a look at the kit thru link you posted and seems a very impressive piece of kit.
Thanks again for help,

Fred