cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference In Download Speeds Using w/less Modem and Router

N/A

Because of recent disconnection problems I returned to using my Alcatel Speedtouch modem ,having been using a D-Link wirelss modem and router ,and noticed that download speeds when using BitComet increased noticeably .

I noticed that my download speed increased to between 10-20kb/s and more with the Alcatel whereas it had been much lower ..( please don't laugh) when using the wireless setup . I tried going back to the wireless setup but it was still the same so I've gone back again .

The router and modem are a matter of yards away from the PC and in line of sight .
I pay the £21..99 charge whatever that makes me ...
Anyone any ideas why this should be ..
P.S. Since writing the above I have dumped BitComet and installed Bit Tornado and the download speeds ( with the Alcatel) have increased to 35 to 40+ kB/s..I havent tried it with the wireless setup
3 REPLIES
N/A

I am not quite sure if this applies to your setup but Wireless is always slower than wired. I can download at over 100Kb/s on my 1MB BB on a wired computer but on my wireless laptop I never get more than 75Kb/s. If I switch the laptop back over to a wired connection it goes upto 100Kb/s

I lose about 25% connection speed using wireless for some reason but always thought this is why people dont use wireless unless its really required, maybe I am wrong but even when the laptop is sat ontop of the wireless router its still slower than using a direct cable connection.

I think this is just the way of things unfortunately. Only way around it is I think by purchasing a wireless router that boasts higher speed. I am using a 54Mbps router but you can buy ones double that speed, maybe even higher.
N/A

Have you tried changing your channel number? I get the same speeds regardless of wether it's wired or not, that's the internet side of things i'm talking about. I have 2Mbit.
N/A

On nearley al P2P speeds will be greater on a modem than a router as a modem has all ports open. Have you got the right ports open on the router as this effects the downloads?