cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834GT needs rebooting when PC switched on

N/A

I recently purchased the Netgear DG834GT and WG111T USB adaptor, its all setup and seems to be working correctly apart from one problem. If I switch my PC off and switch it on again after several hours or say the next day the connection to the internet is lost. I then have to reboot the modem to re-establish the connection.

Does anyone know how I can set the router up so it doesn't loose its connection or automatically reconnects.

Thanks
15 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

I dont' know if the symptoms are the same but I have recently purchased the same Netgear bundle and already I found that if I leave it overnight (Bittorrent-ing), in the moring I find my internet connection isn't working at all.

I think there is something wrong with modem/router - its bottom gets incredibly hot after few hours of usage (it was just laying on the table) so I positioned it verticaly where its bottom side can get some "air-cooling" and so far so good.
It has been "vertical" for only a day or so -probably too early to draw conclusions ..... Let's stay in touch on the board so we can compare experiences and hopefuly someone else will also chip in with their side of the story Smiley

In the worst case maybe we just have a bad batch Huh Out of interest, where did you get your bundle from? I got mine from www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk and it was about £105 including delivery.

cheers
N/A

Thanks for the advice carapan, I've postioned my router vertically as you have recommended and will see if that makes any difference.

I purchased my router package from www.dabs.com for £98.82 inc P&P.

One other thing I find that my bittorent downloads are extremely slow, barely going beyond 11kps. Do you have this problem as well?
N/A

Hi,

in the orininal package of the router there are 2 plastic brackets for installing it on the (presumably) wallHuh or not necessarily wall but somewhere where it can hang Smiley Now, if my theory of "air venting" is right (as I said time will tell, if we compare notes we might be able to reach the conclusion in few days time) we'll just have to install it somewhere vertically with a help of those brackets.
This morning my connection was working fine so few more days of torrenting and even I will start believing in my "airventing " theory Smiley Smiley

For all I know it might be something totaly different but let's start from the beggiining and narrow it down as we go along.

Funny enough, after waiting since April, today my 2Mb upgrade happened and so far so good (maybe initially slightly slow , first couple hours - teething problems), my connection and my torrents are ok , I even reached 210Kb/s - WOW Smiley , so can't comment why your d/loading is slow - very sorry to hear that Sad Sad Sad

keep posting and all the best, hope that your speed problems will disappear very soon - if not , give +Net a call...
cheers
iPaqowner
Grafter

Re: DG834GT needs rebooting when PC switched on

I recently purchased the Netgear DG834GT and WG111T USB adaptor, its all setup and seems to be working correctly apart from one problem. If I switch my PC off and switch it on again after several hours or say the next day the connection to the internet is lost. I then have to reboot the modem to re-establish the connection.

Does anyone know how I can set the router up so it doesn't loose its connection or automatically reconnects.

Thanks

Have you set the "Idle Timeout" to 0 on the basic settings page of your router?
N/A

I have the same problem with the DG834GT. If I leave it on through the day or overnight, I have to unplug it to get my connection going again. If you go to Netgear's forums, you'll see hundreds of other people with the same problem. No one seems to have a fix and are hoping Netgear will come up with a good firmware upgrade.
I always switch my router off overnight and during the day when I'm not using it. It normally works ok, then, although it still hangs up if I use the internet for a few hours.
N/A

Hi,
thx for the very informative contri Sad there's not a lot we can do it seems ...
Luckily I only bought it few days ago, maybe I'll just return it . The trouble is, what do I buy instead?? Money is not a problem, I just dont know what :?
Any ideas?
Would you be kind enough to post a link to Netgears forums please.
Many thx

cheers
iPaqowner
Grafter

Hi,
thx for the very informative contri Sad there's not a lot we can do it seems ...
Luckily I only bought it few days ago, maybe I'll just return it . The trouble is, what do I buy instead?? Money is not a problem, I just dont know what :?
Any ideas?
Would you be kind enough to post a link to Netgears forums please.
Many thx

cheers

I bought mine from DSLWarehouse in March and it's been switched on 24hrs a day since then with no problems........it sits flat on my table.
They do run very hot.........the penalty for trying to squeze everything into as small a package as possible I suppose.
The firmware version I am using is V1.01.00 which is the version it shipped with and I have had no problems at all.........it very rarely loses connection (maybe twice since March).
Is your timeout set to "0"?
N/A

thx for the reply jcurrie Smiley

yes, my idle timeout is set on "0" , but I don't remember doing it Shockedops: (probably automatic) and my firmware version is the same as yours ... must be something else.

BTW, you bought yours in March, I bought mine in deep August, the Netgear's website is full of complaints (apparently) about this very model - would you believe it - 1/2 year later they still haven't fixed the problem ie. same firmware :shock: ts ts ts... This is on assumtion that there is a problem with this stuff.

The reason I say "if" is,in my case, it might be the wireless USB adaptor that is faulty (if that is possible at all). I will know that soon enough, the next time I lose the connection on my PC I will try it with my (Centrino) laptop and if there is a connection that will put the blame on USB adapter. Don't know if I am talking out of my backside or not (new to all this) but I have to adopt a simpleton's approach - eliminating one thing at the time.

Somebody please correct me if this doesn't make sense - can't see the wood for the trees at the moment :?

Also, can somebody please post a link to Netgear's forums.
And finally what other stuff is out there that I might consider (modem/router combo) ?

many thx to everybody who is nice or, like me, desperate enough to read and reply to this :lol:

cheers
N/A

N/A

thx alonghurst ,

looks pretty grim I must say , God help us Wink

cheers
N/A

I've tried positioning the router vertically but that has made no difference, it still keeps on disconnecting.

I've given up on it and going to return it and get myself a refund if possible. I will most likely get the Draytek 2600G as a replacement, even though its more expensive. I have heard these adsl routers are supposed to be really good.
N/A

Hi,

just been reading Netgear's forums and it's not very incouraging Sad Sad

Whoever reads this, please disregard my previous post where I consider blaming USB Wi-Fi adapter - it seems(from lots of similar contributions) that modem/router DG834GT is to blame Sad

will post more as soon as I get more info

cheers
N/A

getting confused a bit :?

Had a lookie this morning - still running without a problem. Yesterday i installed the modem on those brackets for the vertical installation and left it with plenty of room around it. When I checked it this morning it was nowhere near as hot as before. Btw, it was downloading a fairly large file not just standing there doing nothing Wink

Time will tell and time I've got - another 11months and 25 days before my warranty runs out :roll:

Btw, Netgear forums are very useful, some people even tried modding the damn thing (heatsinks,fans or just drilling holes top for better ventilation) -, overheating is definately the no. 1(if not the only one) reason why it crashes!

cheers
iPaqowner
Grafter

getting confused a bit :?

Btw, Netgear forums are very useful, some people even tried modding the damn thing (heatsinks,fans or just drilling holes top for better ventilation) -, overheating is definately the no. 1(if not the only one) reason why it crashes!

cheers

I would go along with that, heat is definitely a factor with this models reliability.
I had a DG824M before my DG834GT and I was shocked by the reduction in size of a unit which is doing exactly the same if not more than its predesessor.
I had never considered the DG824M as being big!
I wish manufacturers would get away from the "Small is Beautiful" culture.
Size isn't everything :lol: