cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DSL-904 Wireless Router - Problems

jgardner
Grafter

HI, It seems all I ever do is post problems but here goes again.

After having trouble getting my Belkin router to connect to the internet, I returned it to the shop and now I'm borrowing the sister in law's D-Link DSL-904.
The router is connected to my PC via ethernet cable. My Xbox is plugged into the back of the router and connects to Xbox Live fine without any problems.

The problem is that i cannot get my other half's laptop to connect to it. When she searches for a wireless connection, sometimes she can see my connection and sometimes she can't. on the occasions that she does, it connects very occasionally but not very often. Anyone got any ideas on how i can have her laptop connect all of the time?

Also, this might sound like a silly question, but its there a minimum range that the laptop must be away from the router to connect?
IE: If i'm on the laptop sitting next to the router, would this be too close to connect?
Cheers.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can have them almost touching each other and they should still work fine.
The only limitation is the otherway round in that if the signal drops too low because of wall etc or extreme distance then you will have trouble connecting.
jgardner
Grafter

It only ever seems to connect when the laptop is downstairs (my PC is upstairs).

I think i'm just destined to not go wireless.
Community Veteran

On the task bar of the Laptop you should see a little Icon showing the radio connection. If you right click on this and then select "Status" it should give you a box that includes a small bar graph showing the strength of the signal and other information.

This should give you some idea of what sort of connection to expect in the current location of the laptop.

Edit:- Also even if you are not connected you can still right click on there and select "View available wireless networks" which again will show you the signal strength of any radio link within range.
jgardner
Grafter

I will click on the icon in the taskbar and it will show my connection as excellent and have 5 bars, but less than a minute after i connect, i get disconnected and my connection isn't listed anymore and won't re-appear at all for a few minutes and when it finally does re-appear (again with 5 bars), it won't let me connect.
Community Veteran

I suspect then that the problem is something to do with the radio card in the laptop :?

Have you a friend or neighbour with a laptop thats wireless enabled? then you could try another machine to see if that works.

Also it would be nice if you could try the opposite and see if your laptop will connect to another network.
jgardner
Grafter

I'll see if i can get hold of a friend who has one.

Strange thing is, when the laptop is searching for all the available networks, it manages to pick up 5-6 networks, which i assume are all my neighbours, but not mine which is in the next room.
Community Veteran

Hmmm sounds even stranger then :? If it's seeing all these other networks it should see your as well. Trying with another laptop should help prove if its the PC or the wireless router.
jgardner
Grafter

Having trouble finding someone with another laptop, so not holding out much hope. Will keep trying, my girlfriend only got the laptop so she could use the internet, been a waste of money so far.
kwhawell
Grafter

here is another suggestion, try removing all wireless security while you see if you can get a stable connection, this may be the problem too, you may be trying to use WPA encription, and the machine in question might not propperly support it, if that fails take john's idea of trying a different laptop, don't run the wireless without encryption for a long time, only use this clean setup as a temporary measure while you figure out exactly what's going on, if it works then, set it up for WEP Wired equivelant privicy, and test again, if you want to you can leave it as is, or, if you feel you need that extra bit more security, try the WPA encryption, I had this trouble with my draytek vigor 2600G to start with, but eventually I got WPA working fine.
jgardner
Grafter

It was initially running with WEP, but have since tried it with the security turned off and still no luck.

Having trouble doing what John suggested, and no-one i know has a laptop or wireless router.