cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple Of n00b Questions On Netgear DG834G

N/A

I have been using this Binatone USB modem for a while now, and it's served me quite well. Problem is, there's no driver support for Windows XP x64. This is the only thing that's stopped me from going to a 64-bit OS. I have the OS right here, but I can't use it yet. Sad I emailed Binatone about this, but driver support for 64-bit XP looks unlikely, so I am forced to buy an alternative solution.

I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for the Netgear DG834G, so I decided to buy it soon. Now here comes the confusing part... Do I need a network card? My motherboard, an MSI K8N Neo Platinum, has onboard Gigabit Ethernet and the nForce 3 250 Networking Controller, which I'm not sure whether or not this works like a network card. Can I connect my PC into the DG834G from my motherboard's Ethernet port, and using a standard RJ-45 cable? I do plan on making full use of wireless in the future because I'll be hooking up several PC's, but in the meantime, I wondered if I am able to do it as suggested, or do I still need a network card?

Thank you in advance for help.
8 REPLIES
Treborvfr
Grafter

The onboard Gigabit ethernet should work fine, you just need to check the drivers for it are installed (go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections - under the heading LAN or High-Speed Internet you should have a 'Local Area Connection' icon which, if nothing is plugged into the network port, will say disconnected together with a line telling you the manufaturer of the controller, possibly 'nForce Gigabit' or something similar).
If the Icon isn't there then you'll need to add the hardware.

Just use a standard RJ45 cable to connect PC to router (I have a DG834G and I think a standard RJ45 cable came with it).

Bob
N/A

Yip,

As Byrne says your on board card will work with out issue.

When you get the router and switch it on it will assign an IP address and subnet to your PC and you can carry on with the very straightforward setup.

Should you have any issues there are plenty on here to help.
N/A

That's great! Smiley

@ Byrne: Yes, I have the drivers installed, they come with the motherboard drivers in one package.

Thanks for the help! I'm gonna definately go with the Netgear kit, sounds quite impressive.
N/A

It certainly is. My company use this kit for our clients and we are very impressed.
Treborvfr
Grafter

No Problem and good luck.

Bob
N/A

Yeah i have that router and it works on x64 very well. But still its not got all the drivers for some things yet. You should connect to the net fine we this
N/A

Drivers for the router Huh Or the NIC?
N/A

Yeah i have that router and it works on x64 very well. But still its not got all the drivers for some things yet. You should connect to the net fine we this

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that it works fine with x64. If you have any info on the things that don't have drivers, could you please elaborate?