cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two routers

N/A

Connecting two routers

I have two routers and am struggling a little bit to connect them together to get them working in the way that I'd like.

Firstly I have a 'wired' broadband router that plugs into my phone line with 4 ethernet ports on it. Let's call this router A.
Secondly I have a wireless broadband router that takes an ethernet connection as its connection to the internet. Let's call this router B.

I have succeeded in connecting them together and allowing the computers that connect to B wirelessly to talk to the internet, ultimately through A.
I can also access the internet if I plug a computer into router A. This configuration was applied automatically by the automatic detection wizards on router B.

However, what I cannot get working is as follows:
A computer running a service connected to A. I then wish to access this service via a connection to B.

What settings do I need to use in order to allow this to work? I believe I need RIP to be set to BOTH for both routers but am unsure about what needs to be set in the default gateways and subnets for both machines and I suspect there are other settings I need to consider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross
5 REPLIES
N/A

Connecting two routers

If you tell us the make of the routers and the ip of each router and the pc's we may get a better idea.

The second router will probaly be only acting as a switch and not actualy doing any routing
N/A

Connecting two routers

The non-wireless router is a Netgear DG834 and the wireless router is a WPN824.

The IP address of the non-wireless is 192.168.0.1 and wireless is 192.168.1.1

The PCs are allocated IPs by DHCP according to which router they're connected to. I suspect only one of the routers should be running a DHCP service though.

Does that help?
N/A

Connecting two routers

what is the subnet issued by each router? give us a ipconfig of a computer connected to a and b.
What service are you running on A that you want to connect to? Can you ping/see all the pc ok.
N/A

Connecting two routers

From a PC connected to the wireless router I can ping 192.168.0.1 which is the wired router and my IP settings are as follows:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

When connected to the wired router I can ping 192.168.0.1 but when I try 192.168.1.1 i get:
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

My IP settings when connected to the wired router are:
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

It would seem that the wired router is not allowing packets through to wireless one but I've no idea how to change this.

The service I'm trying to use is called SlimServer on port 6000 which I'd like to run on a PC connected to the wireless router.

Cheers,
Ross
N/A

Connecting two routers

try changing the wireless routers ip range to

192.168.0.10 so the router would be 192.168.0.10 and the dhcp set to start at 192.168.0.11 but make sure the other router dhcp range is set to stop at 9 so they dont conflict. With both on the same range they should work..

What is the ip address on the wan side of both routers? As the second router isnt connecting directly to the net it may not pick up the right ip on the wan side