cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting through a router...

N/A

Well, seeing as it's nearly impossible to get through to Plus.net via phone anymore... Wink

I recently bought a Belkin Wireless G Desktop card and inherited a BT Voyager 2091 so I can... hopefully... connect my desktop wirelessly to plusnet through the router. BUT... for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. Plusnet only seem to provide help for the BT public access hotspots but not any FAQ's for configuring a basic wireless setup to their network, so I'm begging anyone who can help to take pity! Smiley

Many thanks in advance.

Ben B
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Connecting through a router...

Plusnet only seem to provide help for the BT public access hotspots but not any FAQ's for configuring a basic wireless setup to their network, so I'm begging anyone who can help to take pity! Smiley

I'll give it a try Ben, although I've no experience with the Voyager router so any advice I offer will be generic. Basically it's a two-step process; first get the router connecting to the ISP and tranferring data, then get the wireless stuff connecting to the router. It's much easier to use a wired connection between router and PC initially as you'll have to do some setup on the router to enable the wireless anyway. Once that side is operating okay, install and configure the wireless adapter.

Have a read of these two links.
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/setup_guides/
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/networking.shtml

Although there's no specific guide to setting up the 2091 one of the other Voyagers should be sufficiently similar to illustrate what info goes where (he says with fingers crossed!) in order to get your router up and running. Setting up a wireless adapter is a bit more complicated in that there are drivers to install and more to configure, which is why I suggest tackling the job one step at a time.

I hope this is of some help to you, vague as it might be. Smiley If you have further questions or any problems just shout and I'll do what I can to help. I'm running a mixed wired/wireless LAN here with a variety of kit and have probably encountered every problem known to Man at some point!

Al
N/A

Aj,

Many thanks for taking the time out to reply to my question. Actually, I should really rename this thread seeing as I discovered what the main problem is - BT Voyager 2091 routers and above are LOCKED to BT. The legality of BT doing this is questionable... seeing as many of their older routers are sold off on ebay, a lot get thrown away because of this.

Anyhow, I can't remember the link nor do I think telling people here how to do so is entirely right in itself, but if you look up how to hack it on google you can replace its internal bios. After doing so configuring the router using its admin controls at http://192.168.1.1/main.html (Username:admin Password:admin ) you can set up a typical network connection to plusnet using your username/password. Connection is pretty much automatic to the router itself using XP's own Network Connections wizard.

But thanks for taking the time to write the above! Hopefully it'll help someone with a similar problem to what I thought I had initially. To be honest Plusnet really need to sticky/faq a basic "how do I setup my router" guide here using the XP wizard. It'd probably help.

Take care,

Ben B
N/A

Glad you got it sorted out, Ben.

Al