cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco VPN Client not working

chris_riley
Dabbler

I've just setup my BT Voyager 2210 router and my wireless connections are working well so far.

However, I tried to connect to my work's network using my laptop and Cisco VPN Client (4.0.3) - the VPN client asks for my password which suggests that it can make a connection but when I enter it just says 'not connected'. I've done a few google searches and some people are suggesting adjusting the MTU size.

Any other ideas? Anyone have this working?
9 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

If the connection is getting through this would probably indicate an issue at the remote side.

I'm assuming you're entering your password correctly?

There is a good guide on tweaking your MTU value here : http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak.htm
chris_riley
Dabbler

Yes, the password is correct. And this works when I use my old USB ADSL modem which is why I think the problem is with my new wireless router..
Liam
Grafter

Do you need any ports forwarded to your PC / Laptop for the VPN to work? Your network admin at work should be able to tell you this.
N/A

One problem has often been with XP firewalls, you need to have this disabled to use the adapter. (The hardware firewall built into your router should however, be switched on always!)

If you have NAT enabled on your router, the pass-through should work, although there were problems with some implementations of NAT which do not correctly forward ports less than 1024. Cisco VPN adapters often try to use UDP port 512 - so it may be worth adding this to a manual rule based port-forward.

(Post back if the above couple of things don't help, and somebody will post details on how to check/change MTU settings.)
chris_riley
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. The windows firewall is not enabled so that's not an issue - as I said this does work with my old USB ADSL modem so it's a problem with my new Voyager 2110 wireless router.

Excuse my ignorance, you said:

'Cisco VPN adapters often try to use UDP port 512 - so it may be worth adding this to a manual rule based port-forward.'

How do I do this? I've tried changing the MTU setting for the Cisco VPN client using the 'Set MTU' utility. I changed it from the default to 576 with no luck. I also upgraded the vpn client to 4.8 also with no luck.

Thanks in advance.
N/A

This guide gives some instruction on how to set up port forwarding for a BT Voyager 2100 Router.
I suspect that the interface will be the same for your router as the one listed.

Perhaps someone else who has that particular router can give you more advice on setting up port forwarding.

The MTU should not be causing any real problems, as by default the MTU for ADSL is set to be much higher - usually between 1400 and 1500, so if the VPN adapter is much lower as you suggest, there should be no issue with that.

IIRC correctly, in version 4.8 you can somehow change the mode to use TCP encapsulation instead, which should avoid the issue of port forwarding altogether. It may be worth trying that before having a go at port forwading.
chris_riley
Dabbler

Thanks for the help guys. It actually turned out to be a problem with the RSA token - once this was re-installed, everything is working now Cheesy
N/A

Glad to hear it.

Happy homeworking! Cheesy
Liam
Grafter

That's great. Pleased to hear you've got it sorted now :-)