cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a wireless kit - where do I start?

vitasw

We are regular web users on a PC at home but now we have someone staying with us who wants to use a wireless network from his laptop. He suggests we get a router and modem combined because this works better.

I am almost a complete newbie at this and don't even know what info I will need to choose and use a wireless network. :?

Can anyone help? I need a step by step guide or know where to go for one.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

You may find this configurator from Netgear, helpful.

Answer a few questions and it will give you an indication of which products you need.

Any queries, just post back. Smiley
N/A

I wouldnt recommend the BT Voyager 2110. Refer to my postings on the subject.
xon
Grafter

Wireless routers?

Depends a bit on the depth of your pocket and what functionality you want. I've listed some URL's of routers (£400 ish to very little indeed) below:-

Cisco
3Com
Draytek
Netgear
D-Link
Belkin

You may need to consider whether or not you need a:-
print server
voice over IP ports

You may also need to consider :-
security (WEP or WPA)
speed (how fast is your connection likely to get)
location in your house (BT master socket position)

Personally I have done remote technical support on Cisco + 3Com routers both of which have product ranges which are very good but perhaps a little confusing and complicated but very configurable. My personal favourite is Draytek which I have installed + operated at my house as well as installed in other peoples houses; they are bullet proof. Also I have installed Netgear wireless routers elsewhere with some success. I guess it comes down to you get what you pay for AND you need to be at least interested enough to rtfm (read the flippin manual)
Cheesy
vitasw

Thanx to all who gave info about routers and where to start. Since I posted I have managed to set up a Belkin router with the help of my 17 year old son! And getting in touch twice with Belkin's free helpline - which makes a nice change Cheesy . Despite being a call centre in India (I would guess) they were pretty helpful.

It was a lot more complicated that I had anticipated. First we couldn't get the router/modem to connect; then it did work with the wi-fi from the other computer, but then didn't work with the password we tried. I can't tell you how that was fixed as my son got in touch with Belkin and thinks it's too complicated to explain to me Smiley

Anyway it's done now ... so thanks again.
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

You may find this configurator from Netgear, helpful.

Answer a few questions and it will give you an indication of which products you need.

Any queries, just post back. Smiley

With that configurator it asks do you want 54mbps, 108 or 270-300mbps connection speed. My broadband connection is 2mbps so i take it there would be no point trying to 108 or 270-300 routers? Totally new to wireless and lokking for some info before i buy anything. thanks.
N/A

Those speeds do not relate to your internet connection but to the wireless connection from the router to your computers. 54Mb is "G" 108Mb is "N" and more than that means there is some form of extended coverage in the router. The faster the wireless connection provided the more expensive the router will be.
Whether there is any point in the higher speeds depends on how many computers you want to connect and the distance from the router they will be.
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php
N/A

i am only connection 1 computer so i guess the 54mb should be sufficient.

on another note, my dad just bought a wireless router for his laptop. it is a bt voyager 2110. the laptop can connect to the router but i can't get it to connect to broadband through it. he is using tiscali and each time i try to connect for him it always tries to connect using the in built modem rather than the router. i can't find an option that changes what it uses to connect and therefore he can't connect to the internet. has anyone else experienced this. bt say it is tiscali problem with the line, tiscali say it is a problem with the router!!
N/A

each time i try to connect for him it always tries to connect using the in built modem rather than the router.

Have you changed your connection settings in your browser?

For Internet Explorer go to Tools - Internet Options - Connections - select - never dial a connection.

Have you been able to set the router up via the web interface ok and or can you even access it via the web browser?
N/A

yeah i cet it to never dial a connection but i'm not sure about the other point you make.

i think i tried it going to a 192.168.1.1 page but it says it is not ready to connect to broadband.

it might be a problem with tiscali but that is the router they recommended.

will just keep trying.