cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to Newsgroup Server

N/A

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with Zonealarm Pro and using a Netgear DG834GT wireless router. I was previously using newsgroupdirect.com for my newsgroup servers but have now changed to Newshosting.com. The only problem is... I can't connect.

Before you ask:

I have disabled zonealarm
I have disabled the netgear firewall
I have changed the MTU to 1400
I have flushed the DNS cache
I have reinstalled TCP/IP

If I go into the router and ping unlimited.newshosting.com or 63.218.45.254 I can ping with no packet loss.... However if I open up a command prompt box and do the same I get 'Destination Host unreachable'.

I'm at a loss as to whether it's something on my machine blocking the connection or the router blocking the connection.

Any ideas will be most welcome.....
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you using DHCP on the router to assign your PCs IP address or have you setup a static IP for your PC?

What IP address has your PC been allocated or set to?

Host unreachable means your PC cannot route or does not know where to route packets to, which usually means the gateway IP has not been defined on the PC.

If you are using a static IP for your PC, try using DHCP on the router and setting windows to obtain it's IP automatically. This will also setup the correct gateway IP and DNS servers.

Can you ping/tracert other IP/servers OK?

Are you connected wired or wirelessly? if wireless, have you tried wired?
N/A

I have tried to connect using DHCP and a static IP/ router assigned IP on my PC both without success!!!

When the PC had a static IP it was set to 192.168.0.1
Mask was 225.225.225.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

I can ping every other IP/URL that I try to...

I'm using the router wirelessly and it's not possible to try a wired connection due to the lay out of the sockets....

Any other ideas??

Many thanks
Community Veteran

Are you sure that info was correct. You can't have your PC and the router set to the same IP address (192.168.0.1) as that will confuse the hell out of windows.
N/A

Ahhh my stupid typing mistake

PC was 192.168.0.2
Router 192.168.0.1

Have spoken to Netgear who have provided a new firmware release ver 1.01.30 but if it's a quality as the previous releases I don't hold much hope of it working.....