cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send Relay/SMTP email over the PlusNet/BT Openzone

N/A

I'm using PlusNet / BT Openzone ok except for trouble with Outlook emails using POP/SMTP. I get an error message telling me "Your PlusNet Wifi Account: 550 relay not permitted" So I have to dial up instead. Help please.

Thanks
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What did you specify for the SMTP server?
N/A

"relay.plus.net" it works fine with dial-up, but not through wi-fi
N/A

This is to be expected, as you are connecting to the BT Openzone network, and not the PlusNet network through WiFi.

There is some information on the BT Openzone website, detailing what settings you can use when on the Openzone network,
N/A

change your smtp settings to smtp.btopenzone.com
Word_Warrior
Grafter

smtp

Yes it's quite clear in the blurb you need to change relay.plus.net in your accounts to smtp.btopenzone.com it worked fine for me with a pdf attachment some 1.5Mb large. 1st rule of anything new.

Try all angles and get in a mess first then read the instructions Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Don't see why PN couldn't open up their Servers for BT Openzone connections also...
Word_Warrior
Grafter

See roaming topic for news on that
N/A

Don't see why PN couldn't open up their Servers for BT Openzone connections also...

Because then anybody using BT OpenZone could use it to send spam through Plus Net's servers... someone sitting in a coffee should could easily get Plus Net's servers blacklisted in a RBL.
Saturn
Grafter

When away from home I use my own mail server on my laptop. That didn't work either (same error message as at the beginning of the thread). It's a bit of a pain really, I use the mail server to save having to find a server and change my settings. The snag of course is that such servers can be a source of abuse in the wrong hands.