cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can see router but not the Internet!

N/A

Hi Guys,

Just had a new lappy from work and I've managed to get it to find my wireless router and all is well with that. However, I can't get it to connect to the Internet.

I've got the following numbers from my router:

ADSL Port:
IP
Subnet Mask
Gateway
DNS Servers

LAN Port:
IP
Subnet Mask

DHCP Server:
Starting IP
Ending IP

Which bits do I put in where on my TCP/IP screen for the wireless adaptor in the lappy?

This has been doing my head in all night and would appreciate some help.

Thanks all,
Brett
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Bret

I would leave everything in the TCP/IP panel set to default for now and let it pick up the IP addresses automatically until you've got it to connect to the outside world

Have you got your routers mac address filtering enabled ? if you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all you will be shown the mac address of your wireless card if you need it

It may be worth checking that DHCP is enabled and also your security settings within the router and your firewall as it sounds like you may possibly have an issue there

For future reference what your looking for in TCP/IP is
IP = 192.168.1.?
? being any number apart from the default gateway
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = whichever ip address you use to access your router for example mine is 192.168.1.1

Prefered DNS & alternate DNS you use Plusnets DNS servers
1. 212.159.6.9
2. 212.159.6.10

1. 212.159.13.49
2. 212.159.13.50
N/A

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that.

When I left it to find the IP automatically, it said the wireless was only offering 'limited or no connectivity'. As soon as I put something in the IP/DNA boxes it came up with 'Signal Strength: Excellent".

Is there anything else I can check?

Brett
N/A

You need to know the settings of your router and as you dont give the model we dont know. It should be in the installation guide if you dont know it.
its likely to be 192.168.1.1
Setup your laptop to the same ip as the router plus one on the last number so in the above example you would set yours to 192.168.1.2 set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to the ip of the router. Set the dns to 1. 212.159.6.9
2. 212.159.6.10

1. 212.159.13.49
2. 212.159.13.50

and it should then work you may need to reboot. If its a work laptop doing this may stop it working at work
N/A

Thanks for your help people, I managed to get it sorted this morning!