cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BrownNet

runhare
Grafter

BrownNet

Has anyone found a public wireless network calling itself "BrownNet" ? I live and work near Keighley, West Yorks, and onTtuesday travelled into Bradford for a meeting. Turn on my lap top and staight away it logs onto something called "brownNet" a peer to peer network. Later I find that my friends PC which has a wirelss card can pick up the same network six miles away. Later at home a further 12 miles away I find if I go outside with the wireless lap top, or stand near a window, I get BrownNet.

So on the way to work today I set up the lap top on the passenegr seat and leave it running with Net Stumbler.

Now,my 12 mile route takes me over some fairly remote moorland but nearly all the way I pick up BrownNet, not always on the same channel, not always the same MAC ;
Any ideas anyone?
What is BrownNet? Is it somethng to do with a 1 & 1 company of the same name?

gps
3 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

BrownNet

Could it not be an ad-hoc network that you or someone has previously setup on your laptop and it seems to appear as if it has found it?
runhare
Grafter

BrownNet

well; on a 12 mile journey with a lap top on the passenger seat of the car netstumbler lists 10 or more Ap's for BrownNet all with different MAC addreses; its peer to peer and sometimes you can connect to it and sometimes not.

What do youmake of that?

gps
Community Veteran

BrownNet

Interesting, http://wigle.net list 40 `BrownNet` network worldwide.
I am not sure where as the mapping keeps timing out.

Chilly