cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds down since wireless installation

Hoseman
Grafter

This isnt technically a wireless question but Im hoping you can still help. Since installing wireless on my PC my speeds when using a cable connection (PC has a wired connection as opposed to wireless) have dropped. Whereas they were normally around the 7Mb mark, they are now around the 4-5Mb range.

When setting up my wireless router I did get some help from a support line but I dont remember changing anything which might affect speeds. Does anyone know the solution or have any ideas what the problem might be?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you disable the wireless setup does the speed return to normal.

What speed are you syncing at?

What does it say under connection settings -> high speed broadband as that will determine the actual speed you will download at and may have reduced due to you syncing at a lower speed recently.

One further point - is your wireless connection secure using WAP/WEP etc. If not there is a possibility someone else may be using your wireless connection.

Also try doing a few speed tests on ThinkBroadband and some other sites to get a general idea of your throughput speeds.
Hoseman
Grafter

If you disable the wireless setup does the speed return to normal.

No

What speed are you syncing at?

What do you mean by synching or how do I find out?

What does it say under connection settings -> high speed broadband as that will determine the actual speed you will download at and may have reduced due to you syncing at a lower speed recently.

Where do i find that?

One further point - is your wireless connection secure using WAP/WEP etc. If not there is a possibility someone else may be using your wireless connection.

Its WPA protected

Also try doing a few speed tests on ThinkBroadband and some other sites to get a general idea of your throughput speeds.

Speed test from thinkbroadband show the following:

Speed Test Results
Date 04/07/07 22:20:59
Speed Down 3157.69 Kbps ( 3.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 374.15 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Community Veteran

Your sync speed is the speed your router connects to the exchange at which is different to your data throughput speed. Most routers show upstream and downstream sync speeds under connection settings or line stats pages. See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Connection settings link on the left then click on the high speed broadband icon. The number show is what BT have set for your data throughput speed. If that is not near 7000 then your router must have synced at a lower speed recently and BT have adjusted the throughput sped accordingly, even though your sync speed may be higher now. The BT figure should catch up with your sync speed over the next few days.
Hoseman
Grafter

Thanks for your help so far. Smiley

The router shows the following speeds:

Downstream - 6240
Upstream - 448

I havent exactly explained the whole situation as I didnt think it was relevant but it might be worth mentioning just in case. When I set up the wireless connection I got it working for a PC and a mac laptop. When I set the security up, the PC couldnt pick up the signal but the mac laptop is fine. I need to get a new network adapter ive been informed. So to get online with the PC I can only do this with a wired connection.

The connection speed has been like this for a couple of weeks now. Do you think it will still revert to normal?