cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BelkinF5D7050 v3

N/A

BelkinF5D7050 v3

My neigbour has a BelkinF5D7632 Modem/router and F5D7050v3 USB adapter. They run fine on his fairly new Dell PC running Vista Home Basic, but he has no security enabled. I noticed this from my own network, and he has asked for assistance.

I succesfully swithched on WPA-PSK on the router, but failed to notice that there was no icon for the adapter on his taskbar. Without this I cannot find a way to tell the adapter the new passkey as I can't get into the Windows Utility (Belkin say that their own utility won't handle WPA).

The question is, how can I get the Belikin USB adapter Utility to open in Vista?

I have tried re-installing, and the driver is up to date (4/1/07, v3.0.2.0) but when I click on the utility in Programs ( there is no shortcut) I get amessage that file WLanCfgG.exe is missing.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

BelkinF5D7050 v3

Is there no wireless network on show in the network and sharing center? AFAIK vista does very little to differentiate between wireless and wired connections, and it might be that Belkin only install the drivers and leave windows to configure the network.

Hope this helps,
Community Veteran

BelkinF5D7050 v3

I've been digging for you Wink

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D7050uk&aid=7147&scid=0

This describes in detail about the 7050 and Vista and gives the latest versions of the device drivers.

Hope this helps.

Roger.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

BelkinF5D7050 v3

Click on "Start", "Connect to" (on the right side) and look for the SSID under "Wireless Network Connection". Select the network you want then click "Connect", then you should be prompted to enter the WPA key.

Well done for helping your neighbour with this.
N/A

BelkinF5D7050 v3

Thanks for your responses.

Orbrey and Peterstone - I can get the required network to show up in Network and Sharing Centre and in Wireless Network Connections. Problem with this is that when I highlight the required network.'Connect' remains greyed out mostly. Sometimes ( but I haven't identified the circumstances yet) we get as far as 'Attempting authentication' but no further.

Rogerloxton - Thanks for the digging, the site you directed me to has amuch newer driver (v3 5/8/07) than the one I found am today dated 4/1/07. It also reveals that for 64 bit, I need to use a Realtek driver, or at least that is what I believe it means. I don't know whether the Dell concerned is 32 or 64 bit until I get chance to check, but in the meantime I wonder if you would mind checking my understanding about the Realtek driver and 64 bit. Many thanks.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

BelkinF5D7050 v3

The laptop is extremely unlikely to be running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Can verify this by clicking "Start", "Control Panel", "System" and checking "System Type" in the "System" section.
Community Veteran

BelkinF5D7050 v3

Hiya,

Chances are that it'll be a 32 bit version of Vista as it's the home basic version - I'd be inclined to install the newer driver and this should resolve any problems your neighbour is having...