cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin wirless

jabb0
Grafter

Belkin wirless

I got me wee bro a wireless network card for christmas and for the best part it works fine.

However i setup a user account on his compo which anyone can use, and i set this to be a limited user acount. This is where the problem lies. When i log in on this limited account "radio" is disabled on the network card.

It is a Belkin wireless pci card.

anyone know how i can fix this?

Cheers and Merry Christmas
12 REPLIES
N/A

Belkin wirless

Did you install it from an administrative account.
I have Belkin cards in my PC's and I seem to remember this is required.
jabb0
Grafter

Belkin wirless

yeah,
i installed the thing from an administrator account - and it works from that account.

Its in the limited account (winxp) which it the radio checkbox is unchecked, and every time i check it it gets reset to unchecked.
N/A

Belkin wirless

OK, something you may have overlooked is the software has to be installed before the cards are fitted otherwise they dont work properly.
Could that be the cause of your problems?
jabb0
Grafter

Belkin wirless

no i couldnt miss that one, it says on the sticker before you open it that you must install he software first.

cheers anywho
N/A

Belkin wirless

try giving the new acount Admin login and setup the radio. log off and set the acount back to how you had it see if that cures it
N/A

Belkin wirless

I have often found that the latest version of card software will only allow you to run the card as a "limited user". Check the belkin website for an update.

Why don't you just let windows configure / run your wireless card? That way I know it will definitely work.. regardless of whoever is logged on
jabb0
Grafter

Belkin wirless

yeah the belkin is really nice like that, it has it own software to manage the wireless stuff, and unless i installed that, the drivers didnt work right.

Now everytime i check that lil box to let windoze mange things the belkin thing just defaults again.

Now for something i cannot understand. I was fixing a friends laptop a while back before i got these wireless cards. His laptop was wireless enabled and i toook it a walk around the house and got an excellent signal stregnth almost everywhere, man these belkin cards are pityful in comparison. They are lucky if they manage to connect, which is a bit dissabpointing.

Now i know there is a whole plethora of stuff that can cause this - but my setup is no different than it was when i tried his laptop - why would the laptop have got better signal. Im actually gonna get him back over and try that out again. but would a different make of card have as large an effect as this? is this possible? then why bother with the ieee 802.11g/b standards at all. The amount of guff i had to learn about those guys back in the day and this is about as standard as a pink train.
N/A

Belkin wirless

I guess you will get different reception with different cards. Have you tried upping the power of the card under device manager?

In general though, laptops with built-in wireless will perform better than a PC / PCMCIA card as they have built-in antennaes around the monitor/keyboard area
jabb0
Grafter

Belkin wirless

Im going to try upping the voltage.

I changed the channel of the router from 11 to 1 - do the different numbers mean anything, or is it all the same?

that stopped the network interferring with the the cordless fones. Dont get ur knickers in a twist dudes - turning the cordless fones off doesnt make a blind bit of difference to the netwrork.

And finally i was thinking along the lines of a bigger arial - would loadsa tinfoil a coathanger somehow attached to a metal bit on the arial make a diference do ya think?
N/A

Belkin wirless

Im going to try upping the voltage.

I changed the channel of the router from 11 to 1 - do the different numbers mean anything, or is it all the same?

Not really. As long as you are configured for "Europe" all should be well. I run mine on Channel 2 but only because everyone else down my street runs theirs on 11.

turning the cordless fones off doesnt make a blind bit of difference to the netwrork

Couldn't say - ive read a lot of people having troubles until they turn their cordless phones off. My DECT base station sits on top of my router and I've not had any problems anyway..

i was thinking along the lines of a bigger arial - would loadsa tinfoil a coathanger somehow attached to a metal bit on the arial make a diference do ya think?

I don't know. I've seen some pretty strange things done with an empty can of pringles
jabb0
Grafter

Belkin wirless

A repeater.
signal strength is great if i bring his compo into my room, so its degrading between here (my room) and his room.
The question i have is how effective is the repeater going to be?

Although i would like to find the source of the interference, perhaps it is removeable - or at least moveable. I think its time i got me sis's laptop (i got her a belkin pcmcia wiress network card for crimbo) and test it between here and me wee bro's compo.

And theres another part to the problem, she has her's upstairs and you aint got a hope unless she goes into my parents room and sets it on the floor Cry but that aint too big a problem as she has a laptop and can shift it and her lazy ass to a better reception - although it would be nice to stop her crying too!!!

Dont ask me to move the router, it in a high place in my room and i shelled out £80 + p&p for that thing and anyway i like my wired connection @ fullspeed always Cheesy

Thanx for your help, i have seen some progress as my wee bro's compo now recievs a steady 11-18mbps as before we started it was receiving a 0 most of the time to an intermittent 5.5mbps so that is worth a small YEY at least.

jus one last thing.
If (a), (b) and (c) are in a straight line, left to right. (a) being my wee bro's room, (b) being my room & router and (c) being the living room.
if someone is using something that might interfere with the signal ie a microwave in (c) is it possible to interfere with the signal between (a) & (b)Huh
In other words when i am looking for the source of the offending interference is there a chance it is outside of the line of site between router & clientHuh?

=================
i looked in the device manage to up the power of the wirless pci card, but all i could find was a list in which all the power settings were either on or @ 100%. Did i find the right option or was i miles out?
N/A

Belkin wirless

I got rid of all the wireless stuff exceept the modem router (Belkin) as it was useless, gone to a wired network now never ever look back, always on, share 3 pcs, share printer,internet at full wack all for the cost of a bit of cable and three sockets.I'm telling you seriosly abandon this wireless rubbish go for wired!!!!!! Smiley