cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openzone service - A first experience

N/A

James,

Thanks for the response, could you elaborate on the cause of this fault. I am thinking of using your Wi-Fi service over many of your competitors but I really need some understanding of the issues you are having and your endeavours to correct them.

Rgds

Steve Shanahan
55 REPLIES
N/A

So here I am, early for a meeting in central London. Thirty minutes ago I walked into a coffee bar on Gresham Street with the 'BT Openzone' logo on the door. Twenty five minutes ago I fired up my laptop and latched on to the wireless signal (95% strength). Twenty four minutes ago I clicked on the 'Plus Net' partner logo and browser redirected itself towards

https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/wpb?wpb=plusnet

And that's where it has stayed ever since. Hanging there. I am able to post this thread because I fired up my trusty Vodafone 2G cell card and connected to their service almost immediately. It's not as quick, but it works.

My questions:

Am I doing something wrong?
Is BT or Plus Net doing something wrong?
Or is a very slow onward connection to be expected?

As it stands right now, this service is unuseable. Any comments?
N/A

I've done some testing...

I shut down my Vodafone connnection for a moment and reconnected via Openzone. Looks like PlusNet have a problem. All of the other Service Provider links I tried responded immediately......
LiamM
Grafter

This thread will probably get a better response in the dedicated Openzone/Plusnet Wireless Broadband Forum... perhaps one of the Mods can move it?
Community Veteran

Good idea.
GavinWoods
Dabbler

HI, i would definfitely agree that there was a problem this morning. I connected (or tried to) outide McDonalds in Bristol today had had the same issue. Although repeated attempts eventually got me in but it was very slow. Used it in Tamworth yesterday with no problems at all.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

thebatters - have you used your wireless card before?

Did you get to the PlusNet the login screen or did it time out before you got there? If so what format did you enter the username as. It should be just username rather than username@plusdsl.net.

If it's timing out it might be because it's a secure page, which OS and browser were you using. If Internet Explorer make sure you have 128 bit encryption installed, click on Help then About Internet Explorer.

thewoodsfamily - what was the exact location of the McDonalds? You should be able to find it at

http://www.btopenzone.com/find/index.jsp
N/A

I've just successfully connected from our Openzone hotspot here.

If the process is stalling with http://www.btopenzone.com:8443/wpb?wpb=plusnet in the address bar then it would suggest a failure at BT's end. I'm unable to reproduce he problem though.

Would it be possible for somebody to try again? I suspect it will work now.
N/A

I had exactly the same experience from a different hotspot on Wednesday. Today it failed first few times but now works.... Looked to me like the plusnet login server was down or unreachable.
N/A

Answers to questions;

" Have you used your wireless card before? "

- I've had a wireless network at home since October '03, My company has wireless access that I use daily and I've used numerous other hotspots before. You will also recall that I said that I "latched on to the wireless signal (95% strength)" and "clicked on the 'Plus Net' partner logo". My laptop is just fine.

" Did you get to the PlusNet the login screen or did it time out before you got there ?"

- Never got to the Plusnet login screen. As I said in my earlier postings, I clicked on the plusnet logo and that's when it hung. I was able to repeat this consistantly, while clicking on the logos of your competitors revealed their logos pretty much instantly.

" If Internet Explorer make sure you have 128 bit encryption installed "

- Yes. I use IE 6 on WinXP Pro, SP2.

" If the process is stalling with http://www.btopenzone.com:8443/wpb?wpb=plusnet in the address bar then it would suggest a failure at BT's end. "

- Why? How come I could get through to the sign0on pages of other service providers?

" Looked to me like the plusnet login server was down or unreachable. "

- That was my conclusion. Though I'm happy for the Plusnet support folks to convince me otherwise or at least address the issue.

Come on Plusnet - this is a trial. If you want some more revenue from me in the future from this service please convince me I can rely on it.
N/A

" If the process is stalling with http://www.btopenzone.com:8443/wpb?wpb=plusnet in the address bar then it would suggest a failure at BT's end. "

- Why? How come I could get through to the sign0on pages of other service providers?

I can't speak for the other providers, but the URL above issues a redirect to our login pages, which are located at http://wifilogin.plus.net/index.html

The redirect includes some parameters that need passing to the login pages.

If our login server wasn't responding you'd be left with the URL of the login server in your browser address bar. Your browser was sat waiting for a response from the redirect script as far as I can see.

All that said though, we're reporting it to BT and also conducting a test using a different hotspot to our own.
GavinWoods
Dabbler

thewoodsfamily - what was the exact location of the McDonalds? You should be able to find it at

http://www.btopenzone.com/find/index.jsp

Hello there,
Yes the location of Mc Donalds is
Abbeywood Retail Park, Filton
CENTRAL
GB - BRISTOL BS34 7JL
Although judging by the fact that 2 of us had the same problem at the same time in different locations ould indicate that it might not be a local issue. The problem i had was clicking on the plusnet link failed to bring up the logon, although all the other affiliate links worked fine.
N/A

Hi, I also had this issue on 10th at McDonald's in Dagenham, and then yesterday at the Services on the M5 just north of the M50. Seems pretty random to me, as I was using it OK in the morning at the McDonald's in Bridgend.

Paul
Word_Warrior
Grafter

bt openzone hang up

Having had success with a trial go on the plusnet deal I expected all to work fine when needed in anger. Think again!
I had to get some pdf copy to a printer near where I live but I was in Cumbria. I travelled 20 miles to a delightful town :-q called Whitehaven where I found the Macdonalds I needed (the hotspot not the food) I proceeded to login and that's where it stopped. Vodafones login page opened but not plusnet Evil

As the copy had to be sent I subscribed to BTopenzone click and buy, very easy but it's cost me £6 :twisted:

I hope this isn't a sign of what's in store, and can I have a refund please plusnet!

Andy
N/A

General Problem?

Good - it's not just me then.

Can anyone in the Plus Net Heirarchy provide some insight into the investigations into this 'phenomena'?

Did you just release it too soon?