cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT 1800HG WPA rather than WEP

N/A

Hi
I,ve received myBT 1800HG Intelligent Gateway as part of my upgrade. The setup file explains how to setup wireless security using WEP. According to Trevor Macdonald on ITV(my main source of IT news) this is next to useless. Question is how do I setup the WPA (undeneath the router I have the key for WEP).
4 REPLIES
N/A

As far as I can see from the router manual WEP 64 bit is as good as it gets. If you logon to your router if there is any more advanced setting it should be under security.

Dont get carried away the range of the router is probably a few feet outside your house if that. For someone to break in they would have to get close to your house and it would take time to break the code even if you know what you are doing and few people do.

So the chances are probably a million to one of someone breaking in. If they did break into the router they still have to get into your pc and unless you are a high risk pc its hardly worth the bother unless you have people next door who want free broadband.
Community Veteran

That router supports WEP with 64bit & 128bit keys and WPA
N/A

thanks for replies but ideally would like to know how do i set up wpa
Community Veteran

I believe those routers have on-line help, try that from within the wireless setup page.

Note: does the equipment you intend to connect to it also support WPA, some older laptops and wireless network cards don't.