cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple/Mackintosh

N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

you can only use real btopenzone accounts with t-mobile hotspots.. as you have to append your log in with @btopenzone.com
14 REPLIES
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

Has anyone tried to use BT Openzone with an apple notebook?? Does it work well?

I think I've got the wrong settings. I've tried to detect hotspots at Heathrow and Edinburgh, but couldn't get anything.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Apple/Mackintosh

Hi,

I haven't tried my iBook as I don't have an airport card, but I would have though it would be fine so long as in the Network System Preference you've set it to pick up the IP address via DHCP (rather than specifying it) and ensure you aren't using WEP or WPA.

How far did you get? Were you able to pick up the Openzone hotspot or not get that far? If it did, did you see the Openzone web page and our login page?
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

I didn't get anything at all, not even the hotspot signal.
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

i've used my powerbook (and my old ibook for that matter) at various different locations, and picked up plenty of hotspots, btopenzone and otherwise..

there really shouldn't be an issue....

M
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

Do u just turn on Airport and what for a network to appear on the list?
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

Do u just turn on Airport and what for a network to appear on the list?

yeah.. it is as simple as that..
places i've used my laptop

a PC World with a BTOpenzone (and various macs at other pc world)
Heathrow airport
A Starbucks (t-mobile)
and a couple of thecloud networks..

works fine.. Cheesy
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

One more question.

Could u use Plusnet's Free Trial of the Wireless Broadband at Starbucks (tmobile) as well?

I've heard some folks saying it doens't work for t-mobile and thecloud.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: Apple/Mackintosh

Has anyone tried to use BT Openzone with an apple notebook?? Does it work well?

I think I've got the wrong settings. I've tried to detect hotspots at Heathrow and Edinburgh, but couldn't get anything.

My powerbook worked absolutely fine last week in the portsmouth Tulip Hotel. However, I couldn't access my CGI space to upload some scripts nor could I use iChat in audio mode to call home. I'm guessing some sort of bandwidth restriction. Awaiting reply from PN "contact Us"

Andy
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

I live in Dundee, and on the way down to York on the train last weekend I decided to see if I was able to access the network from Edinburgh, coz I read about it in MacUser Magazine.

I didn't try to connect as I knew we were only stopping for a few minutes, but on my Mac PowerBook G4 Silverkeys I had a choice of two, one of which was BT OpenWorld, I can't remember the second one.

Also, I believe that some GNER trains have access to go online on the actual journey, but I was'nt lucky enough to be sitting in a carriage that had the service.

For Macs, though, you really need to know your System Preferences. It doesn't come up under the AirPort logo, you have to go to SP and Network to go look for the outside services. Next time I'm in Edinburgh for any major length of time, I'm going to the Station and try it out properly.

Mark.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Memory failure

I can't remember any difficult set up proceedures so it must have been easy to do. What I do remember is typing in an address into the address bar on safari and the BTOZ login page came up, from there click the plusnet logo and login as you would for the portal. Hey presto, online. get e mails surf whatever except ftp to your CGI server. PN security doesn't allow it, so no web site building on the road Evil
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

The BT OpenZone option automatically opened up my Safari with login details (credit card, etc...) I think it was around a £1 for 6 minutes. Fair enough if all you have to do is check your email, but costly if you've got a lot of time to spend.

I'm sure once I've gone past that page and agreed to pay with my credit card, I would be able to use web-based PlusNet services as usual. Including my email checking via Entourage.

Like to think it'll get a bit cheaper in the near future.
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

No problems at all, except from the extortionate bills Sad
N/A

Apple/Mackintosh

Here's a good example. I'm currently in Italy and using the Hotel's own computer service (as I didn't want to bring my Mac) and it's One Euro for twenty minutes. Lets see that happening for Open Zone/World and we'd be happy!

Ciao! Wink
N/A

mac connectivity

I've not had a problem with my iBook... The beauty of it is that I never have to enter any settings- it just finds hotspots no questions asked Cheesy

I travel on GNER trains regularly, so if anyone tries the wireless on there, please tell me how it goes...