cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Airport?

N/A

Apple Airport?

I have an Airport enabled powerbook and i am looking to get an Airport base station. Will this simpley be a case of plugging everything in and it'll all work? I have plusnet broadband. Cheers
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Apple Airport?

Airport is just what Apple call Wifi, so buy any reasonable Wifi router or access point and it should work.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Apple Airport?

I use an iBook into a netgear dg834g and it works perfectly - you don't need a specific airport base station.
James
Grafter

Apple Airport?

My iBook works fine with my DG834G, and other various wireless routers.
N/A

Apple Airport?

An Apple Airport Base Station will work if you plug the WAN ethernet port of the Base station into whatever DSL box you are currently using to connect to the Internet (more info about what that is may help). If you are currently using a USB DSL box, then there will be problems as they cannot be plugged directly into the Apple Airport Base Stations USB port (that is only for printers). And you can't plug the phone line straight into the Base Station as they do act as a DSL terminator.
Basically the Apple Airport Base Stations act as any other non-DSL-capable wireless broadband router. Which is to say, depending on your setup you may be better off with another product Smiley
Give us some more info about your setup and we may be able to advise better. I'm a fan of a lot of Apple's hardware, but not their Base Stations (I use a currently use a Zyxel 660HW for my main internet connection and have an Airport Express hooked up in another room with the stereo).
Community Veteran

Apple Airport?

Hello,

I'm moving this to the Wireless Broadband forum as it's more suited to there and less likely to fall of the edge of the page.

Chris
N/A

Apple Airport?

An Apple Airport Base Station will work if you plug the WAN ethernet port of the Base station into whatever DSL box you are currently using to connect to the Internet (more info about what that is may help). If you are currently using a USB DSL box, then there will be problems as they cannot be plugged directly into the Apple Airport Base Stations USB port (that is only for printers). And you can't plug the phone line straight into the Base Station as they do act as a DSL terminator.
Basically the Apple Airport Base Stations act as any other non-DSL-capable wireless broadband router. Which is to say, depending on your setup you may be better off with another product Smiley
Give us some more info about your setup and we may be able to advise better. I'm a fan of a lot of Apple's hardware, but not their Base Stations (I use a currently use a Zyxel 660HW for my main internet connection and have an Airport Express hooked up in another room with the stereo).

Cheers, basically i have an ethernet connection from my plus.net supplied dsl modem to my iMac. I have now bought an old g4 powerbook that only supports 'Airport' not 'Airport Express'. I don't want to spend the money on Apple base stations if there is conflict, i would prefer the netgear or belkin wireless routers...what are your experiences, thanks
N/A

Apple Airport?

Cheers, basically i have an ethernet connection from my plus.net supplied dsl modem to my iMac. I have now bought an old g4 powerbook that only supports 'Airport' not 'Airport Express'. I don't want to spend the money on Apple base stations if there is conflict, i would prefer the netgear or belkin wireless routers...what are your experiences, thanks

Airport Express is backward compatible with Airport based Macs. i.e. It supports both 802.11b and g standards. I have a mixture of Macs/Powerbooks (supporting b and g) running via an Airport Express without problems.

Assuming you have multiple ethernet ports from your DSL modem/router an Airport Express will work with it. Otherwise you might need to plug in an Ethernet Router into your Modem and connect the Mac and Powerbook through that.

I've also installed a number of Netgear 834G and DLink router modems which all work with machines running Airport or Airport Extreme (802.11b and g) standards without problems.

Martin
N/A

Apple Airport?

If you'd prefer a Netgear or Belkin, go for it. I can't see you having any problems with Apple, Netgear or Belkin compatibility wise. Choice of hardware will largely depend on if you want to replace your current ADSL box, or go for a separate solution (i.e just get an access point). You mention that you have an ethernet connection from your plusnet supplied box, if this is the one I believe it is, they normally supply usb boxes, but briefly supplied ethernet ones. You may be better of buying an all in one ADSL Wireless Router and opting out of the 'supplied with hardware' account. From Netgear this would be something along the lines of the DG834G, from Belkin, something like the Belkin F5D7632uk4, but there are many other options from other suppliers.
Happy hunting!