cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute idiot on board - need help desperately!

N/A

Hello All

I'm really sorry to bother you all but i really need some advice.

I'm in the process of moving house - from the midlands to the south coast and on top of all the moving, new job, saying goodbye hassles i need to set up a wireless network. And despite looking at this board and various sites - i am really confused and would really appreciate any help or advice.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8500 which has a 'Dell truemobile 1300 wlan mini pci card' installed, however i have never used this. i have been using the standard BT voyager 105 from plusnet for my Bb connection.

I would appreciate it if somebody could give me a real beginers guide on what i need to buy and how to set it up and if possible answer some questions for me;

What do i need to buy?

1. Is my current pci card good enough to utilise a 2mb connection or do i have to buy a new laptop card?

2. Is my current card a 802.11b or 802.11g - and what is the difference? (Icant find the info on the computer and the instructions are long gone)

3. Do i need to buy a 802.11'b' or 'g' pci card for my girlfriends desktop?

4. I have only seen routers that connect at 108mbps - does this mean that wireless is never as fast as a modem connection?

Oh, my girlfriend has a PDA with wireless - is that easy to connect to a network too?

I'm really sorry to hassle you all, but as you can imagine,i'm pretty stressed at the mo

Many thanks in advance

Rich :roll:

p.s can you also rec the best places to buy these things from, my budget is limited but i'd like decent kit Sad
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1) Welcome to the forums.
2) You are not an idiot :lol:
3) I don't know whether you card is b or g but i belive either is faster than 2MB/s.
4) Buy from anywhere but dimwits land (see: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29672 )
5) Can't help much more but hope that is a start.
LiamM
Grafter

Right,

Basically what you need to purchase is an ADSL Modem Router, and Wireless Devices for all PCs / Laptops that don't already have them.

The only difference between 802.11b and 802.11g is the speed. B is 11mb and G is 54mb. Both of these are of course faster than the 2mb connection to the net, so you'll definately get 2mb speeds on your laptops / PCs as they will be connected to the Wireless ADSL Modem Router at a faster speed than the router is connected to the internet, you get me?

The Modem Router basically substitutes your Voyager Modem. Simply plug it in, set it up and leave it. As soon as you turn on a PC or Laptop, it will connect to the Local Area Network (wirelessly) and you'll be online. No pressing the "Connect" button or whatever.

Your Dell Truemobile Wireless card is perfectly fine.

I would suggest considering one of these I have one and have found speeds, range and reliability to be superb.

You can of course get slightly cheaper ones.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help / advice. I'm happy to help wherever I can.
N/A

Thank you both for your advice, really appreciate it.

Liam - you have PM

cheers

Rich
N/A

Hi Liam

Did you get the pm i sent yesterday?

Cheers

Rich
Alecto
Grafter

As I recall, Liam was hoping to go to Glastonbury. May be that he's gone already?
Community Veteran

Hope he has a good time but with this weather I heard on the radio (BBC Oxford 95.2 anyone else listen to it?) that the organisers are advising people not to go today because of the weather but to go tommorow instead!
N/A

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm desperate for some advice and if Liam is away for the weekend i wonder if anybody else could help.

Liam rec. the Netgear DG834G. Below is a copy of the message i sent to him, i basically need to know if my house layout will be ok and if its worth buying the DG834 GT over the 'G' or now the Netgear WPN824 Rangemax MIMO. All 3 come with their corresponding PC cards free with AMazon.

Hope you can help

I had a look at the netgear you rec. it looks great and better still has a free usb wireless adaptor with it. It's available from Amazon for £70 and the GT version is available for £88 with the free card also. Do you think it's worth paying the bit extra?

My only concern between the 2 if speed is not an issue would be range. My new place is a 3 story townhouse. The stairway runs from the groundfloor to the living room on the 1st floor - thats where i think the router would be located, the stairs (both sets of stairs are open plan) then run to the top floor where the desktop would be located. I then would have my laptop in the loft. Do you think either of the Netgear routers could cope with that?

Also, finally - is it possible to connect the pc's to my Canon Pixma 5000 printer?

Sorry to hassle you,but your help is very much appreiated.

Cheers

Rich