cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router - Change of desktop

N/A

Wonder if anyone can help with what may seem to most of you such a simple question!

I am a bit illiterate when it comes to anything a bit technical so that on the purchase of a new laptop from a well known retail outlet I got a good deal on them installing the Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router and setting up a network between the laptop and the existing (old) desktop.

I've now purchased a new desktop. For the time being I just want to connect to the internet. Is it just a case of connecting an ethernet cable from the router to the new desktop and ensuring the internet connection settings are set to LAN or do I have to add it to the network? Ultimately the old desktop will go.

Any help would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES
N/A

try following the directions below, they appear long winded but when you done it once it's actually pretty quick and simple. Just setting up your wireless router and first pc takes the longest.

Set up your internet connection on your main pc as usual.
Hardwire the Wireless router to this pc and go to the Wireless setup screen, follow basic set instructions making sure that you select WAN connection type as DHCP server or fixed IP, with obtain IP addess automatically.
DNS is disabled.
Make sure you have your wireless option enabled. Save and reboot.

Under network connections on this first pc go into the properties of your local area connection under the "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" properties give it a static IP and give the Default gateway the same value as the pc, e.g.
IP address 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.3 - this is telling your PC to use itself (as this is what you want} to access the internet.

Enter in the Plusnet DNS Server Address' save settings and then move on to the next pc.

You then via device manager unistall the wireless card in your first pc just to make sure it does not keep any of the previous settings. reboot the PC it should'nt start harrasing you for drivers etc. as we haven't unistalled them.
It should however start asking to scan and connect to a wireless network, if the option comes up to let windows manage this connection which it finds click no.

The second pc should at this point at least be able to communicate with your first. It should under network options "say" it has a internet connection but it won't have really because you now need to follow the above steps with this connection as on the other pc except of course it will need a different IP and set the Default Gateqway to the first PC's IP as you are going to use it for the internet connection. Set the DNS servers etc again the same and save.

On the first pc ensure that you enable internet connection sharing and you should now have an internet connection on your second pc.

The only drawback of course is that your first/main pc will have to be on for the other machines to connect because the wireless router has basicaly been told to "Butt Out" of the internet connection and just manage your local network. Your main pc becomes the gateway to the internet and not an ADSL Ethernet Modem like the wireless router is expecting.

If I think of anything I've left out I'll add to this but this should do it as I have just done this myself at home for 2 pc's and a laptop. they were all on together earlier tonight whilst I was playing BF2 online with no noticable lag or increase in Ping/Delay.

Seems very long winded but may save you money in the long run.

Hope it helps.
N/A

Many thanks for your in depth instructions - will try it.