cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

youview

ash45

youview

hi do plusnet plan to offer youview any time soon/or at all,
I wont lie im not a big free view fan but i do like the fact that youview has all the OD services and that providers can customise the box (like BT/talktalk have)
i think it would be quite a good market for plusnet to try out,
At the min i do have a media centre hooked up to my TV so get most things YV offers anyway so cant say i fancy paying 250-300 quid for the box but would not mind paying a small fee to PN (like BT vision and talktalk plus uses do) also lets face it a YV box would defo be better on the leky bill lol.
Thanks for any replys
Ash
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: youview

The poll has closed now but the topic and poll result might be of interest. Not just YouView considered in that topic but the message from contributors suggests limited interest.
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been researching for when my SKY+HD subs end, and YouView is the way to go for me.
Main reason... HD Freeview and HD On Demand Terrestrial Channels, even though I am in a  Freeview "Lite" area.
I hardly record any SKY channels.
Boxes (Humax) bit expensive at the moment though.
Only other current option for me, is £10 pcm SKY record/replay choice, but only BBC On Demand.
Freesat "Freetime" doesn't have all on  On Demand ... yet !

ash45

You lose all on demand when you sop subscribing to sky even BBC i know this because i use a sky HD box as a freesat box and even BBC OD tells me i need to subscribe paying th £10p/m for retaining sky+ dose not count as a sub so that still wont get you on demand back
As for freesat free time it currently has BBC/ITV player and youtube , 4oD is due in June and Demand5 sometime t the end of summer 2013. so TBF still more options than you get from freesat from sky lol.
As i said in my orig post The only time id think about youview is if it was part of my broadband package and had premium content like talktalks version other wise its quite a rip off
TBF you can get android TV dongles off ebay for about £30 that can watch all the UK freeview channels live via TVcatchup which comes over the internet so dont even need an antenna (which we dont have were all satellite in our house) they have access to BBC ITV 4OD and Demand 5 as well as netflix and many more plus you can brows the net and play games with it lol fair enough i don't think there's recording ability but thats what on demand is for lol.
i no longer have my media centre mums pc died so i told her to take that one instead of shelling out for a new one TBF have not missed the functions that much but do miss having ITV player as its the only OD we use a fair bit the others are touch and go
Ash
dick:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK
I have been researching for when my SKY+HD subs end, and YouView is the way to go for me.
Main reason... HD Freeview and HD On Demand Terrestrial Channels, even though I am in a  Freeview "Lite" area.

YouView in nearly 400,000 homes since it launched eight months ago
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/30/youview-tv-service-bt-talktalk?utm_source=feedburner&utm...
ash45

The vast majority of the 400,000 set top boxes distributed to customers so far are believed to be as part of broadband bundles offered by BT and TalkTalk

which is my point if the ISP is giving them away free its a good deal but paying 300+ its a rip off there's plenty of boxes out there that give u on demand access for a lot less, TBF a PS3 can do all what a youview box can do including freeview with the playTV attachment  wich turns the ps3 into a free view PVR you can now get a PS3 for less than 150 the playtv attachments are cheap as chips on ebay and you also get the bonus of a bluray player and games console lol
i know i kinda keep sounding like a bit of a youview hater im not i just dont see why it costs 300+ for a box that is really not worth more than 120 at the most and if companys like BT and TT can give them away free it shows there not worth 300 a box yes you have to pay a sub but lets not forget as part of the sub you get content that standard youview owners do not get, talk talks version is brilliant and a decent alternative to sky and VM  (more VM as sky still do dominate the pay TV market with channels)
Ash