cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xp desktop/ vista lappy

quizereus
Grafter

xp desktop/ vista lappy

I have just got a bt router from plusnet.
Both my xp desktop and vista laptop are connected to the router and the connection speed has improved tenfold.
what I cant do though is see the desktop files from the laptop, or vice versa.
The laptop tells me that the fault lies in the desktop and the desktop tells me that it has foiled an intrusion attempt.
Both are running Norton.
This is my 1st attempt at networking and I could do with some advice.
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: xp desktop/ vista lappy

You'll also need to make sure both PCs are in the same workgroup.  Vista defaults to "workgroup" and Xp to "mshome" so you'll need to change it on at least one of your machines.
To do this in Vista, right click on "Computer" (Start>computer) and then select properties. In the window that follows scroll down till you get to "Computer name, domain and workgroup setings" and click on "Change Settings" (you'll be asked for permission to continue) and in the next window click the "Change" button.  You can then change the workgroup from the default to "MSHOME" (or to the same as you've already got on the Xp machine.  (You can find out what the Xp machine's group is by right clicking "My Computer" and selecting properties.)
samuria
Grafter

Vista wont connect to a xp pc if the user doesnt have a password. How are you trying to connect?
To connect you need to have a share on the pc your trying to connect to or use $ shares.
On the xp pc select a directory select properties by right clicking and then goto share and add a share. See if you can then see it from the vista pc.
paulby
Grafter

You may also need to apply this patch to your Xp machines.
It shouldn't really be necessary as it should only be used so that Vista can generate a network map for you but probably worth doing anyway.
Will
Grafter

That patch is great for helping with network map. Altho it has no effect on performance.
However, vista is a pig for doing this unless your other system is also on vista.
Turn off password protection first off as this will cause serious problems with XP. In fact, from network centre simply check file sharing and network discovery are on. This are the fundamental options.
Secondly, you will need to allow guest access to your Vista folder (at least this is the only approach I have found - enlighten me if there is a better one). Also make sure the permissions are set accordingly.
Finally, if your using windows networking PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lock your connection down securely. Windows Networking IMHO is appalling security wise.