cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox media extender and vista performance problems.

scootie
Grafter

xbox media extender and vista performance problems.

having problems with media centre on xbox.
my network setup is this.
xbox wired to router(net dg834g v4)
vist home prem on pc upstairs running on wireless.
when browsing my music on the xbox MC the menus are very unresponsive and when they do choice to speed up and i add a track to play list and start browesing menus again it will again be unresponsive.
now it dose look as a bandwith problem but i ran the media network test and speed is bettween hdtv and tv and bandwith reported by the test is 18-20mbps.
googling only seems to come up with one surrgestion and that is the pc runing the music from should be hardwired but the xbox can be wireless.
i cant see why me running the pc wireless and xbox hard wired would make a diffrence.
another surrgestion was to make sure the ehshell process was not maxing the cpu and looking at the cpu usage it runs between 10- 30% when running the extender so dosent look like the problem lies there.
Any one know of any tech fix's to this problem?.
p.s i am only wanting to stream music by media centre not botherd about video as when the menus run smooth its easyer than the dashboard music player which runs smooth by the way.
2 REPLIES 2
samuria
Grafter

Re: xbox media extender and vista performance problems.

There is a vast difference between radio and hard wired. Hard wired gives you 100 mb all the time wireless can vary depending on what you are using but most max at about 54 so thats half speed to start with if there is noise about and the wireless drops packets and needs to resend the speed can drop to 2 meg. It may go up and down depending on the weather or many other things moving the router or pc a foot or so can often make a difference.

Simple solution /test is to try the pc with a network cable and see if it solves it I would think that it would solve it.
scootie
Grafter

Re: xbox media extender and vista performance problems.

yep all ready tired hard wired and yes it works o.k but that was some months ago. i havent used media extender ever as i all ways get this problem when wireless whic defeats the object of microsofts claims about having the whole house streaming media every where blah blah blah. if the only solution is to go hard wired.
i have just do a test by installing 4OD downloaded 3 episodes of the IT CROWD and pointing media center to watch the 4od folder. booted the xbox up went to vidoes tokk 10-15 secs for all the thumb nails to update then clicked to load an episode of it crowd loaded straight away and streamed with out a glitch.
my first thought with it being early hours of the morn that they was less interference but that theroy came to crash landing when i went to browse the music folder and got the frezze up again. now my thinking is that because i have alot of music tracks and not organized the best( all thoe all in right cats ect in media player 10) and this is causing media extender some headaches and decides to go sleep for a awhile.
yet on the pc its o.k when i browse the music folder so the bandwidth it needs for transfering the thumb nails ect is sending the xbox extender in to chaos.
going to have tinker after some sleep now by stoping watching the music folder and moving few 100 songs to a diffrent folder and watch that and see if it copes better.
if this is the soultion its going to take me years to arrange my music neatly Sad