cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong format

juliasdream
Grafter

wrong format

I have recently bought a Samsung DVD recorder to record TV programs.
I want to edit out the ads from programs I want to keep and cant find a way to do this through the recorder.
When I put the disc onto my computer it wont work, even to play
I tried finalizing the disc but whatever I do I get an error message that Windows does not recognize the format.
I would have thought it was mpeg4 but cant be sure
I'd apreciate any advice on this
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: wrong format

You have stumbled into a minefield!
I don't know that much about Samsung DVD recorders, and you don't mention what application you use to view DVDs on your PC. But hopefully this generic advice may help.
Does your Samsung record in mpeg4? Most I have seen will record in either DVD-video or DVD-VR formats, but many players don't recognise the VR mode.
Check your manual, but I would suggest using only DVD-video mode. Unfortunately you can't convert from one to the other, the discs have to be formatted first in the appropriate mode.
There may be some applications that handle different formats much better than Windows Media Player or PowerDVD which I use, hopefully others on this forum may be able to help. Magix and PvaStrumento are applications I have heard of used for editing DVD recordings.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've not found much that can't be played using VLC Media Player, you might also like to try Media Player  Classic. I'd recommend trying VLC first.
Hope that helps,
Njal
Grafter

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but there are loads of format converters and video tools here:
http://www.doom9.org/
Regards,
Neil
jkerr82508
Grafter

Make sure that you are using good quality discs. I have a Daewoo recorder and if I use cheaper media, then the resulting DVD's are not playable on my computer ("format not recognized"), although they can be played on (at least one) other brand DVD players. DVD's that I record to media that is on Daewoo's "recommended" list play fine on my computer.
Jim
samuria
Grafter

If you get something to read the disc and you want to take out the adds you will need video editing software and this can be expensive and may be more pain than its worth for an odd film unless you intended to do a lot of films.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Quote from: juliasdream
I have recently bought a Samsung DVD recorder to record TV programs.
I want to edit out the ads from programs I want to keep and cant find a way to do this through the recorder.
When I put the disc onto my computer it wont work, even to play
I tried finalizing the disc but whatever I do I get an error message that Windows does not recognize the format.
I would have thought it was mpeg4 but cant be sure
I'd apreciate any advice on this
Thanks

Usually, to be able to edit DVD's on the fly in the recorder itself, you usually need DVD-RAM plus the facility/compatability on the DVD Recorder itself.. that way you can edit the contents of the disc before finalizing.
Bear in mind though that some PC DVD Readers will not read DVD-RAM's
Roger.