cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrist band

seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: wrist band

I agree with Barry on this one. Keep it plugged in at the mains and you generally are always touching the metal case anyway. Wearing a wrist strap would inevitably end in me walking away and trailing someone’s computer of a table and smashing it on the floor!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I put a 1GByte memory card in, a few days ago.
I made sure it was unplugged from the mains.
Why do you need a sledgehammer to force memory into the teeth of the motherboard?
I didn't use any anti-static devices and I'm sure I touched all the bits that you're not meant to touch.
The PC is still working. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Jeremy I agree about the sledgehammer part, Hurt my hand trying to push them In, Thing Is static electricity damage could take a while to kick In, You should always be on the safe side especially with money becoming rather tight!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Same applies if you're wearing clothes with static in them too

Best solution is to be naked with PC still plugged in. Gets a few raised eyebrows when the neighbours pop round, though.
I've never used anti-static straps and my wife hates me to leave it plugged in with the case open. I usually stand on a non-carpetted floor and still frequently touch the radiator.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chillypenguin
Grafter

Next time the wife catches me naked in from to the PC, I will claim that I was upgrading the memory  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've built loads of PCs and never used a wrist strap with no problems....and usually remained fully clothed Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
I've never used anti-static straps and my wife hates me to leave it plugged in with the case open.

All the dangerous voltages are contained inside the power supply box, so as long as you don't take apart it is perfectly safe.
VileReynard
Hero

Unless there is a fault.  Roll_eyes

seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes, the power supply. You definitely do not want to work at that with the mains still attached. I routinely clean out the power supplies in my servers and even with the cable plugged out I am still careful as I have a healthy fear of large cylindrical capacitors after learning from several experiences in the past!
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Peter

Some reports say latex gloves can actually make static worse! Just think of when you last rubbed a balloon on a jumper and stuck it on the wall using static electricity. If it was anti-static it would not stick!

Certainly true about balloons but the last thing you need in an operating theatre would be anything that could cause a spark with all the gases (ie Oxygen, nitrous oxide etc) in the place.
When I mentioned gloves I had in mind the ones surgeons use not the Marigolds type that you might wear to do the dishes
We are born into history and history is born into us.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Peter
Some reports say latex gloves can actually make static worse! Just think of when you last rubbed a balloon on a jumper and stuck it on the wall using static electricity. If it was anti-static it would not stick!

Yes it would - it's the balloon and woollen jumper that aren't conductive.
The conductivity of what you use to hold the balloon is immaterial - rubbing the balloon causes it to build up a charge, distributed over the balloon.
When you put it next to a wall, it induces an opposite charge on the wall.
The two opposite charges attract, making the balloon stick to the wall.

alanb
Grafter

If you want to leave the PC plugged into the mains to keep the case earthed, do make sure that you switch off mains power at the mains socket. Some PC power supply units have a mains switch close to the mains power inlet on the PSU case, which will serve the same purpose. Alternatively temporarilly remove the fuse from the 13 amp plug.
Modern PC power supplies do not fully switch off when you shut the computer down via the front panel buttons or via a menu function. It may look like it is off, but the PSU continues to provide stand-by power to some parts of the computers's circuitry, in order to support features like 'wake from hibernation' or 'wake on LAN'. There is no risk to personal safety (stand-by power is only 5 volts,) but there is a risk of accidental damage to the PC while working near components that are connected to stand-by power.
The only way to ensure that the PSU is turned off is to switch off the mains.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Yes, the power supply. You definitely do not want to work at that with the mains still attached.

Been there and done that, I can remember fault finding live switch mode power supplies. Plenty of concentration and a healthy dose of respect. Plus a colleague standing over and crash team on standby. It was worth it for the £10K that its saved.