cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wpa - wep problem

grabo

wpa - wep problem

no here's a first - sorry for going on about the same old, same old, but I found no information on my peculiar issue in other posts... Embarrassed
We've recently moved back to the UK from Germany, and I just got my broadband with PlusNet. Router (Voyager 2110) came today and I went about setting up both our laptops.
Now these are both fairly old machines (2003 - they are identical makes) that use internal Prism Wireless Cards (? Is it a card, am not very good at these things) which support 802.11d (whatever that means).
To cut a long story short, in Germany we had a wireless network encrypted with a standard WPA-PSK encryption (using TKIP, not AES). I tried to to set up a WPA-PSK encryption (using TKIP) on my voyager router and - hey presto - neither machine could connect.  Shocked
I've now changed it to a WEP protocol and all is fine on both machines.
Any ideas why computers that were happy to live in a WPA-PSK encrypted network in Germany should refuse to do the same thing over here? I, for one, am very confused... but would like to live in a WPA encrypted world, rather than poor old WEP  Huh
1 REPLY 1
grabo

Re: wpa - wep problem

please ignore the message above - I can't delete it. Problem is solved after a helpful chat with a friend. Sorry to bother. The cause was a faulty driver...  Embarrassed