cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless set up problems

alans007

wireless set up problems

hi,just gone onto plusnet.can set up with ethernet cable no probs.when i try to set up wireless my laptop can find the signal but doesnt ask for the wpa/wep then tries to connect but just keeps saying validating identity.have tried putting the wpa/wep in thru the network options but doesnt work,have a 100% signal.running xp.any suggestions...thanks

thanks for the replies.tried that,still no joy.i am running a ibm thinkpad,i think that ibm`s connection manager is conflicting with windows when trying to set up the wireless.have tried to get rid of it but have to delete all other ibm systems as well.have checked the box to let windows take over but still no joy.
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: wireless set up problems

If it does not ask for a key then it already has one.  If it does not connect then the one it already has is probably wrong.
Disconnect the connection then start again.  Make sure you enter the correct key.     
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Good Morning ReedRichards,
1) Go into your router and disable wireless security.
2) Let the laptop find your wireless connection.
3) When the laptop has found the connection, go back into the router and re-apply your wireless security (remembering your password/passphrase.)
4) Enter the password/passphrase on the laptop when prompted. All should now be working.
Regards,
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

'CK Computing' (Edit: who subsequently changed his name to 'Mr Chips'), you haven't quite got the hang of this forum, have you?  I, ReedRichards, was replying to a question by alans007 so you need to address your instructions to him.    
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Correct - it was a long day and many posts on other forums.
It is not a question of getting the hang of the forums, just tiredness.
Thank you for your response, dear chap.
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!