cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless routers

anightingale03

wireless routers

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me, i have just started on broadband a couple of weeks ago and i thought i ordered a wireless router with plusnet,but somewhere on the router got given a modem that just plugs into compter direct.I went to bought a wireless router so i could go wireless,but the problem is that for the last week or so i can't get it to connect this way. I'm using windows xp the name of the router is micronet, i have been to their site but could'nt find any help on setting up,is there anyone who has got one of these wireless routers that could help me.Model no is:SP916GK and wireless lan pci adapter model no:SP906GK
Any help would be greatfull
thanks
Alan Nighntingale
12 REPLIES 12
samuria
Grafter

Re: wireless routers

The simple answer is send the router back it needs a dsl cable modem which you havent got so its no good for you. You need a router with a built in adsl modem like a netgear DG834G
xpcomputers
Grafter

What PN broadband Option are you on? 1, 2, 3 or Pro? What date did you sign up?
With that information, we can tell what Plusnet would have provided you for free.
If you ordered a Wireless router as an optional extra as part of the signup process, then you should have got it from Plusnet. If the order didn't go through (or you accidentally didn't select it), and you weren't charged for it, then I'm sure Plusnet would still sell you one now if you wanted one from them.
I know PN are in the process of arranging a means for existing customers to get the new wireless router for potentially a good price (although how good that is will depend when we see the prices!... and if the deal ever arrives).
Whatever happens, Samuria is right, you will need to send back the Micronet router you bought, as it is designed for cable connections (like Virgin Media), not for ADSL that you have. You are looking for a "Wireless ADSL Router". Make sure you pick one that says it works with ADSL 2+, or you'll be stuck at slower speeds when the faster internet connections become available next year.
The supplier who sold you the Micronet router, might be able to swap it for you for the correct one.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just got a Thompson TG585 by saying yes I might stay for another year on monthly terms!!  for the princly price of £6.99
P&P
anightingale03

Hi thanks for the help i will try and get a replacement,and by the way i'm on PN option two and i was told at the time i could not change it because i had opened the box.
Thanks again for the help
Alan
xpcomputers
Grafter

It depends surely if it was their mistake or yours. The open box bit is because once the box is opened, they can't send it out to a different customer, so if it was your mistake, you'll have to keep it and pay for your own replacement (either from PN or someone else). 
However, if it was Plusnet's fault, then I would have thought they'd send you a new correct one regardless of the opened box (which they'd still have to pay the supplier for, but that is their problem, not yours)!
I can't remember if it was meant to be a wireless router on Option2 when you signed up. It is now though! If you put the date you signed up (the date you filled in the application form - not the date your account went live) on the thread too, then someone who knows these things (better than me) can check for you and help you determine whose fault it was...
Mike
avalon
Grafter

AFAIR a wireless router was the one sent out to Option 2 customers for quite a while.  What is the model details of the one Plusnet sent you?
Denzil
Grafter

Hold on, let's review what the OP said.
I went to bought a wireless router so i could go wireless...the name of the router is micronet

I take this to mean he bought one from a computer dealer rather than PN.
@anightingale03: It still depends what you were told. If you picked it up yourself off a shelf then technically the retailer is right, if a bit mean. If you asked for help and were recommended the router then they gave you the wrong advice so should take it back.
xpcomputers
Grafter

I saw that...
But later on in the thread, it is implied that PN are the ones that wouldn't replace the simple modem they sent (possibly mistakenly), because the box was opened. If it is true that PN had goofed, I think they should replace the router free of charge, regardless of whether the box was opened. The blame in this part of the story is unclear. PN or customer could both be at fault, but from what is said here, it sounds increasingly likely that PN sent the wrong device by mistake - and therefore should rectify that.
As I read the flow of posts, I understood this to be a separate issue to that of the wrong Micronet router which happened after PN had already refused to rectify the first issue.
It was PN not resolving the first issue that prompted the customer to then go out to attempt to buy their own wireless router (the Micronet) from somewhere else (not PN!).
Who was at fault in this second issue is not revealed (but could have been bad advice from a saturday boy in a shop or customer themselves picking the wrong box!).
So this also needs returning to its place of purchase...  (My guess is it was bought in Maplin).
Whether OP wants a correct ADSL Wireless Modem Router from that supplier, OR a refund, will depend on what happens with the separate (but sort of linked) Plusnet router issue.
If PN come good, then customer can take DSL router back to shop for a refund. If PN still refuse, then customer will need their own wireless router, so should take Micronet back to shop and swap for a correct device that includes an ADSL modem.
However, you are right, I might have misunderstood the nuances of the posts and got this wrong.... this is my understanding of the full story.
Hopefully the original poster wil be along in a minute to confirm or correct these assumptions.
Mike
pierre_pierre
Grafter

box open or not Maplin will take it back - no problem
anightingale03

Thanks again for the help, i had one message that wanted to know the modem model sent me. It is Thomson ST510. Another wanted to know when i joined plus net it was a month ago and yes it should have been a wireless modem/router with four ports.
Alan
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
just got a Thompson TG585 by saying yes I might stay for another year on monthly terms!!  for the princly price of £6.99
P&P

Almost the same here with regard to MAAF/PN (thanks Bob) when replacing the original Voyager 210 which became faulty,
however the 585 was supplied to me on a defered contract for 12 months from it's despatch so if I leave within  the 12 months
I'll be charged for the cost of the router.
AFAIK all MAAF BB packages are for 12 months there are no monthly contracts for the first year, after that you are on a
rolling 1 month contract until you take out a new 12 month package possibly at a reduced rate if your luck is in.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Looking into this it looks like you signed up over the phone, but the CSC Analyst added the wrong type of router when going through the signup journey.
I'll get you a four port wireless router sent out for you if you want me to?