wireless adapter wont connect

juliasdream
Grafter

wireless adapter wont connect

I get this same problem again and again over time and its happened once again
I'm using a ZyXEL wireless router with a ZyXel G-202 Wireless USB adapter
Win XP SP3
2 laptops connect wirelessly without a hitch so the router is ok
Using the Zyxel utility it showsa up as a full signal and even though i put in the correct password it appears to be connected but no web pages
status shows its sending packets but not receiving.
If I disable the zyxel utility and go through windows. Again its a full signal, it accepts the password but says not connected.
I've tried everything I can think of but cant get round it. I even uninstalled the software and driver and reinstalled it all..
I tested the adapter on a different computer and it works perfectly.
I feel like I'm going round in circles
I think this must be a common problem and would like to learn the best solution to remedy it.
If someone is more knowledgeable I'd apreaciate it if they could walk me through the diagnostic procedure in easy language so I can learn 
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: wireless adapter wont connect

If it happens again first job is to goto start/run then type cmd and in the window type ipconfig /all. Do the same on another pc and check if the faulty one has the same configuration. It should all be the same except the ip which should be very close to the other ie the last figure should be different.
If its the same its connected and got an ip if its not the same then its not connection properly or its not picked up the IP from the dhcp server(router).
If its the same and still cant connect then its password or the wrong encryption type All ways use the util that came with the device not windows as that can break it. You have to watch that you get the encryption type the same on the pc and router  if one is 64bit and the other 128 bit it wont work.
How many other in your area have wireless as it could be you are on the wrong channel and getting swamped
juliasdream
Grafter

I had already noticed that both router and adapter are set fot 64 bit and I was able to get into the router to see that i was using the same password and channel.
Its a quiet village with no other signals from other users.
Since theres 2 laptops connecting at the same time without problems and the adapter works perfectly on another computer in a different household setup I imagine it must be down to the computer
What do you think?
I still have to go back and check the IP addresses
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you use the correct case for you router WEP or WPA?
juliasdream
Grafter

I finally got it connecting but cant view web pages.
Its showing that its sending but 0 packets being received
ipconfig/all comes up with "An internal error occured: The request is not supported. Contact microsoft
Any clues? please let me know what else I can try
Thanks