Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows xp pro

slanjavah
Grafter

windows xp pro

Can anyone help.
Under start menu now showing all programs rather than just recently used, also when I click on "help & support" I get the message "windows cannot find helpctr.exe.......
Any ideas
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: windows xp pro

Some sort of major trauma.  Perhaps a faulty hard disc drive which is losing files?
WTF
Grafter

That's a bit strange ..
First thing to do is a complete backup - that's essential!
Doesn't sound like a virus, however I'd run full virus scans with a couple of different AV packages, just in case.  AVG, Avast and Malwarebytes (among others) all have 'free' versions you could use.
If the AV does remove any viruses, you'll want to replace the previous backup with a new one.
The problem could be a path issue, I guess .. Use the search facility to see if you can find that file anywhere on the C: drive.  If you find it, double click on the file to see if it runs.
If you do find the file and it works, then you're going to have change the path .. I can't remember how to do that, but it's pretty straightforward.  A quick google should get you an answer.
If you don't find the file or it doesn't run, try a disk check to find (and hopefully fix) issues with the hard drive:
- Windows Key + e to open Windows Explorer
- right click on the C: drive and select Properties
- click on the Tools tab
- click on the Check now .. button
- tick both options in the dialogue box
You will get a warning that you need to restart the computer - do that and allow the disk check to run.  This will take some time as it scans the entire disk in order to identify any damaged sectors and try to recover data.
Next, I'd run a repair install on XP using these instructions.
As ReedRichards says, it could be your hard drive is wearing out - they do have a limited life and a machine with XP isn't exactly new.  It might be worth considering replacing the drive - they're not too expensive these days.
Anteaus
Grafter

The option to show only recently-used programs is 'Use personalised menus' right at the bottom of the custom start menu options.
Rightclick a blank area of  the taskbar to access Properties>Start menu.
As for possible disk issues, open a cmd prompt (Run... cmd) and do chkdsk C:  
If errors are reported, do chkdsk C:  /RF
The full surface check will run at next startup, and will take a considerable time. Be patient. Afterwards, check the application log for the report. Look especially for bad sectors. If there are bad sectors, consider getting a replacement disk before it pops its clogs.
slanjavah
Grafter

Thanks all Smiley