Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows update..... how long ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

windows update..... how long ?

Doing the latest update on three laptops.... this one... all done..... missus....under way..... my 10" laptop.... seems to be stuck....
it says... "Installing update 3 of 14...
security update for Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 ( KB 2937610)
It has been showing this for about 30 minutes now, with no movement on the red progress bar....
I have clicked "stop installation" about 10 mins ago, but no progress further...
Any suggestions ?  Huh
13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: windows update..... how long ?

I usually find that .NET updates take a long time Sad
I would be tempted to go into Task Manager > Applications and kill the update application. Then re-run Windows Update if the procedure appears frozen.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

I`ve stopped the installation, and now in process of "forced shutdown"... blue screen showing "preparing to configure windows.... Do not  turn off your computer"  which is "normal"... so am waiting for it to restart.... and see what happens...
Never known it to "stick" on one update for over 30 mins though...hence my query... If it is showing as an update still to be applied, I will uncheck it, and proceed, then probably update it as a stand alone item, .... it may "go in" better after all the other stuff has done its best !..
cheers Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quite often an update requires the presence of another update which happens to be in the same downloaded bunch.
The particular update fails 1st time around but succeeds on a subsequent attempt. 
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.... 5 minutes, and still showing "Preparing to configure Windows  do not turn off your computer" Message.. (with the little circle thing going round and round ! ! ! ....
picbits
Rising Star

.NET Framework stuff always seems to take forever even on a nice fast computer.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah,  ? Well, my 10" laptop must be the slowest in the world..... 20 minutes showing the "Preparing to configure........ " Message....
gonna blow it to bits now.... force shut down,     Shocked   (hold the power key down) .... and see what happens  Cheesy
Re-started windows at 15:37.... showing "preparing to configure ...... "  message.... Ah well.... good job I`m not wanting to use it ............yet ! ! ! ...
and  now...15:38... showing "Welcome"....  Smiley  and showing the desktop at 15:39...  ....  ....  ....  hey ho!  here we go !>>>>... Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, that`s interesting..... see my first post..... "installing 3 of 14".....
Now after a re-start... I have the following message...
Windows is up to date..... There are no updates available for your computer
However...underneath that it says.....
Most recent check for updates..... Today at 13:40
Updates were installed:    Today at 15:06 (Failed)  View Update history
Undecided Undecided Undecided
As I finished typing that... got a message saying 12 updates are available showing the "offending" .NET framework update as 35.1MB and another under it as 10.5 MB.... think I will uncheck them and let the rest go first ! ...
Watch this space...  Cheesy

**************************************************************************************************************************************************
16:10    10 updates successfully downloaded and installed..... now going to see about the 2 .Net framework ones......
***************************************************************************************************************************************************
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Usually laptops have slow hard drives which make for painfully slow windows updates.  Or you could be at or over the hidden requirement for windows hard drive free space, which requires 10% free space on each partition to work reliably, if not it slows to a crawl
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
shutter
Community Veteran

Normally, this 10" laptop does the updates fairly quickly, that is why I am posting, because it seems to be taking forever.... Just done a re-boot, and opened Windows update
     :-at 17:23 started to "download 2 updates ( 45.6MB in total)... am on a wifi connection ( about 2 feet from the router... and my download speed is about 4.6Mbps )
now 17.34  (11 minutes) and it is still showing as downloading 2 updates ( 0KB total, 0% complete).. and the red progress bar is running........  Undecided
17:46  (23 minutes)      ditto     ditto    ditto    ditto     ditto     ditto     ditto ....................................................................................ditto ditto ditto ditto    Undecided
18:13  (50 minutes)   Ditto________________________________________________________________________________Ditto  Undecided
18:27 (1 hour 4 mins) ..... Now showing "installing updates"  1 of 2 ! ! !  Cheesy
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I just told mine to check for updates  Wink
14 updates , download , install , reboot      = 7 mins  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... that`s about what it took for the other two laptops ! ! ! ..
shutter
Community Veteran

Update?  on this thread... not Microsoft ! ! !...
19:30   still showing Installing 1 of 2   but the red progress bar..... isn`t.... it ain`t there... not showing .. .... Huh
I have even put it on Mains power...t o see if that will speed things up..( apart from my 6 hour battery life has expired ! ! ! )...

WOWZER ! ! !.... 19:55  just starting to move the "progress bar "! ! ! ! ! !  Shocked Shocked

shutter
Community Veteran

YE Haaagh!.... 20:27  Successful install completed !  Whew....  Cheesy