cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows live messenger

b4itatschool
Dabbler

windows live messenger

When messenger appears when i turn on my computer it says new version available, i click on install now, continue, click accept, its says it will install  mail,  movie maker,  toolbar,  and update messenger,  photo gallery  and writer,  it checks for 'conflicting programs' and closes 'windows live messenger' and 'windows live communication platform'  for me. The installing programs box comes up, when overall progress gets to 100% the smaller top bar then says 'rolling back' and the bottom bars goes back to 0%, a box comes up saying done, 'couldnt install messenger, mail, photo gallery, movie maker, toolbar and writer it says 'try installing again, programs were not installed because installation cancelled error code 0x80004004, i click close and a box appears saying welcome to windows live. I checked and stil had windows mail but have to restart computer to get the older version of messenger back .  I am on vista and a HP G7000, i have plenty of space for the installation. I have asked windows live about this problem but dont get alot of help, is there anyone out there who has had the same problem and/or anyone who can help me with it, if so please explain it all for a basic computer user!
Cheers Cry
4 REPLIES 4
scootie
Grafter

Re: windows live messenger

i did mine last night. but i refuse to allow programs to try add stuff on top so i made sure all other tick boxs was empty even the mail, photo galery ones and my update completed with out any confilcts.
maybe grab an install copy from here which should have the so called sercuity update in it and do a uninstall, reinstall.
http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger
you may need to use the enchanced cleanup tool to make sure everything relating to messenger install is uninstalled before trying again
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
b4itatschool
Dabbler

I will try it later and let you know.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi b4itatschool,
There's a thread on this at another forum here - I'd recommend having a look at this post and especially this one - both different fixes, but that second post appears to show the actual cause.
It looks like one of the files downloaded by the installer is corrupt and causing the crash, and each time you try to reinstall it uses the same file, hence the same error. If you can find and delete this cache using the instructions there you should find it installs fine next time.
b4itatschool
Dabbler

ASBO DOG
Thanks for you help, i tried the first link without any luck so i went on the other link to uninstall windows stuff, i still had to have a few trys installing but its done now.
ORBREY
Thanks for your suggestion as well but when i clicked on the links for the other forum it was all to confusing for me, thanks anyway.